1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axle mount head frame.

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by David W Boyd, May 30, 2015.

1. David W Boyd

David W Boyd Junior Member

I have a couple of heavy duty trucks. A Western Star and a Ford F700. I want to put on snow plow head gear that fasten to the frame on the top and the axle on the bottom. I have seen them before on the highway and on for sale adds. My question is; How is the bottom fastened to the axle? From pictures I can see that the frame mount is hinged. Is the axle mount solid or does there have to be some free play? I am from Canada and I have learned a lot from my southern neighbours over the years. Hope you can help me out again.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Axle mounts are usually solid, and held on with L bolts, try to get under one and have a look.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure....I think.....no mounts are attached to the axle. No strength to it. And actually dangerous.

4. David W Boyd

Well ........ that would be my problem. Last one I saw in Canada was on a Saint John City truck in the 1980s. Only others I was fortunate to see was on USA for sale posts. My biggest question was the solid mount. Thanks Randall Ave.

5. David W Boyd

The head frame is fastened to the truck frame on a hinge. The bottom of the head frame goes under the axle and is fastened to it. We are taking heavy duty trucks.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I know. And the ones I have seen are NOT fastened to the axle.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

The frames are still sold, I have seen them on some sites, but that was a few years ago. The ones that I have installed, and repaired, were very basic. If your bumper was not very sturdy, you have to make one out of heavy steel U channel. Then mount a L channel frame to the bumper, this has the mountings for the frame on it. The frame will mount to this with removeable pins. The frame mount slides into the axle mount, held on with one big pin. The frame mount is adjustable to push against the axle mount. This is done on its initial installation. As far as strength to it, all I no is Jersey State Dot ran them for years and the highway was not littered with axles after a storm. I am looking into the distance and I see the big bus coming at me.