1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axle id # info

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TRUP, Nov 19, 2002.

1. TRUP

TRUP Member

I assume that if I read off the axle id numbers on my K20 to somebody in a Chevy dealership parts department that I'll find out what the gear ratio is. What other tidbits of information can I expect to get from these id numbers?

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

why dont you just mark the tire and yoke and turn it one time?

3. TRUP

TRUP Member

Physically checking the size of the gear ratio is no big deal (4.11). I was hoping to find out if it has a posi or a limited slip. I've dealt with both types of diff's before in Ford's & Jeeps, and the tractive capabilities of this K20 are the smoothest & strongest I've experienced so for. I was hoping NOT to have to take off the diff covers to find the answer to my question. THANX.:)

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Look in the glove box. The options decal might still be there. My K/20 listed RPO G80 - Locking Differential. You can also contact GM Customer Assistance, and request a restoration packet. I don't have the number handy, but if you do a search on my Chevy Truck Pages the phone number wil come up.

~Chuck

5. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

most likely it has a locking diff. i would pop the cover off and take a look, youll feel better when you put new gear oil in anyway.my 84 k-20 had the locking diff.
    ps posi and limited slip are the same thing, positraction (a term gm came up with) is a limited slip diff, what your thinking is called an open diff.

6. TRUP

TRUP Member

What I meant by posi was an OEM locker. The after-market lockers on my other two rigs are harsh and somewhat noisy when completing a turn, and the factory limited-slip in a pair of Ford's I used to own were worthless. As I had alluded to in my previous reply, the axles on my K20 are perfect. Thanks for all the info.:)

7. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TRUP...Take down your RPO codes located on the
    sticker in glove box. Then go to www.gmforums.com
    They have a RPO decoder link that will tell ya what ratio
    you have............geo