1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

axle actuator 99 ram

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dieseldog45, Oct 4, 2010.

1. dieseldog45

dieseldog45 Junior Member

can i flip my axle actuator over? mine is froze, dont wanna buy a new one yet. pros and cons? any ideas?
  2. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Actuator works off vacuum, follow the vacuum lines from the actuator and make sure you don't have any leaks, there's no flipping fix, when they go bad it's usually the vacuum diaphram that's mounted on the front axle that goes, but I have seen rotted vacuum lines also.
  3. snow bully

snow bully Junior Member

i took mine out and used an air hose and got it moving . put it back in and still works. also taped on one to get it working have 2 dodge pickups with same problem and wont pay the money again easy fix for me
  4. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

My in-law's went out last year. Turned out to be a corroded line. Good Luck.
  5. 99dodgeramsport

99dodgeramsport Junior Member

6. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2 or swap the axle for the one piece unit.
  7. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

the vacuum lines that actuate the diaphragm for the fork is supplied from the tcase - there are a set of lines that come off the tcase and cross over the front cross member and its the usual spot where they rot or get hit with road debris, iv replaced mine twice so far with factory new prebent ones.
  8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

late but- the cable is so so at best- got it installed and will be going back to vacuum when I replace it. Strips out the locking threads very easy.

You can pull the vac thing off and switch the shift fork over to hold the collar locking the axle perm as a quick fix- ran that way over a year before I changed to the cable- vac motor seized on mine.
  9. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

You get about 10 years out of a stock vacuum set-up so why not spend about $100 and replace the vacuum actuator and steel lines to it and get another 10 years?
  10. moparornocar

moparornocar Junior Member
    from Ohio

11. What oil do I put back in the reservoir, where the fork slides left and right ? I read in a Haynes manual to use hypoid gear oil. It didn't say the weight. I'd guess plain 80-90 differential oil would be too heavy, esp. in the cold for the collar to slide left/right to engage/disengage the 4x4. The collar has to slide just so anyway for it to lock over the axles, which are butted together end-to-end.

Would transmission fluid work in the little reservoir ? (passenger's side on the dana 60 axle).