1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axel Seal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NCat496, Jan 20, 2010.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

On my 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic it will be getting its 3rd rear axel seal on the left side. The first one was done by me and the second one was done by the dealer under warranty. The third one will be done by the dealer tomorrow under warranty again. Any reason why it keeps going bad? I cant firure it out. I even put rvt on the inside of the end with the 8 bolts of the shaft. I know its under warranty but it gets annoying to keep going back for it only within 6 months. Any ideas? Also the rear end is the one that goes in the duramax and the 8.1 with the drain plug facing the back of the truck compared to the one in the 6.0 facing the front of the truck.

2. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

*cough* Ford *cough* ah excuse me. Hi Nick :waving:

3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Someone needs to look at the spindle to see if it has burrs or rough surface on it.

Possibly the seal has to be slid fore or aft in the brake drum to meet the machined surface of the spindle.

Are they good quality seals ro Napa specials?

Do you grease the seal where it contacts the spindle?

Good luck.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

check ( I suggest replace) the axle breather. Had one gum up on me and blew the seal. Good to replace every couple of years.

5. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Well everytime I talk to Mario he says you are fixing your truck so whos got the problem now? We live in the same town thats a mile by a mile and I dont even know what you look like :waving:
    Located on the top of the pumpkin? never thought of the breather, could have some junk in it.

6. thesnowman269

:D This is very true haha. I am surprised you are Having problems with your truck They always look to be in top shape and your "worst truck" as mario put it looks pretty darn good too. Yes it is a very small town. Im surprised Ive never run into you at the gas station
    -Robert

7. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

One of my subs always asks if i use a ****** on my trucks haha :laughing:
    I dont see you at the gas station cuz ford recomends BP and I use Shell and your truck is always in the shop. ;)

8. thesnowman269

:laughing: Now thats funny right there. And the rest is fairly true I cant deny that it needs alot of work to stay in running condition but I am running out of parts to replace :help:. Good luck with that axle seal Hope it doesnt give you anymore problems.

9. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Hey I give you credit for starting somewhere and thanks for hijacking my thread ;) Hopefully B&B will chime in and let me know whats up with that thing

10. thesnowman269

I was just keeping it at the top of the list for you so B&B would see it :nod:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No fear, I get around as much as the street corner ladies, I'll find it. Now I just have to figure out a way to get paid for it. :D

Need some clarification as to where it's actually leaking. Which seal is giving you fits? You're stating that you used RTV on the axle flange mating surface. Is that where it's leaking, and not at the actual inboard wheel seal thus coating the brakes and inside the wheel with grease?

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Located on the top of the pumpkin? never thought of the breather, could have some junk in it.[/QUOTE]

Yours should be on a hose up to the frame, tiny little thing. Slush or mud sometimes gums them up.

13. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Its leaking right at the seal. Its the seal with the metal band around it, as soon as you use the axel puller tool its the one right there, Then it ends up all over my parking break assembly. I out rtv around that metal flange so it would maybe hold better.

14. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Just a dumb question since I have seen dealer techs do this a lot. The seal is a two piece seal, did you remove the piece off the axle tube? Very common mistake. Also when removing that piece it is easy to nick the tube. File it smooth and use a little RTV there to prevent and leaks there.

15. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

I have put three on the right side of mine. Staying tuned for updates

16. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

The mechanic next to my shop saw me when I was doing the first one and he said be prepared to keep dong them once you have started but no one knows why.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok now we know which seal you're working with...

Correct methods during the replacement is they key. You have to be very gentle with the new seal, you have to remove the remainder of the old two piece seal thats left on the spindle (which gets most guys in trouble), you can not just pound the new two piece seal into the hub bore without using the correctly fitting driver and you have to be very gentle when slipping the wheel hub back into the spindle so as not to damage the new seal. And just as critical, you have to follow the bearing torque settings and procedure to the letter to ensure good seal life. Any deviation from any of these and it's a virtual guarantee you'll be doing it again. It's not something that you can simply throw together.

An even bigger problem comes when guys use a non GM [non two piece] seal thats of a one piece design, as most of the non GM seals are. Because now the seal surface on the spindle needs to be polished smooth as glass since the originally designed two piece seal doesn't rotate on the spindle, it rotates on the other half of the two piece seal, thus the machine finished surface on the spindle isn't smooth enough to support a one piece seal, because it wasn't designed to use one. And I don't recommend you do either.

And as mentioned a plugged vent will also cause a leak and will lead to repeated seal replacements for no reason since the root cause isn't due to the seal; its due to the fact that the axle housing can not vent properly. The vent is routed up and terminates at the fuel filler neck fastened with a clamp so be sure to pop the vent from the end of the lead hose and check it for blockage regardless

18. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Well thanks B&B that explains a lot of my problems. The seal was a one piece and I used the axel tool to hammer it in there and I didnt torque thoes bolts on the axel either I just impacted them in there until they are tight. Well I just got it back from the dealer and so we will see if they did it right but I know they didnt check the breather so I will check that in the morning. Thanks B&B

19. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I did both of mine when I put rotors on it. Guess I did em right because several thousand miles later they aren't leaking:)

Now if I could only get my brake pedal to stay hard......