1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Axel Pivot Bushings

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 2low, Jan 24, 2010.

1. 2low

2low Member

i have a 89 f150 and the steering wonders bad i have replaced every link in the front end and have put a newer box on would the Axel Pivot Bushings cause the steering to wonder? how to you check these
  2. mrv8outboard

mrv8outboard Senior Member

I am not sure what part you are talking about as the pivot bushings? 1989 F150 has independent front suspension. Start at the steering column, check the flex joint at the bottom were it connects to the steering gear. You had said a newer gear? Was it used? Either way check for any play, if there is replace with a quality reman. Next tie rod ends and link ends, if ok then ball joints(usually the culprit), if ok check the radius arm bushings and the brackets. Then the two pivot points that the axle tube mount to the frame. Also you can get wandering issues with caliper slide hardware sticking. I you are going to fix it, fix it once right then your done.
  3. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

You can jack up the truck and take a flat bar to the axle. Pry around to see if you can move the pivot points. If not your good. If you see alot of movement they should be replaced. The TTB axle on these trucks is a great setup but it does get squirly if not properly maintained. Don't just throw parts at it though. Do a correct diagnosis. If you are not sure what to do I would take it to a professional shop. The gear box can be adjusted as well. But again you want to do it properly.