1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

avoiding freeze up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slclawn, Dec 8, 2006.

1. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

Thought I would see if anyone else does this I put about 3 tbs spoons of heat in with the plow fluid. It used to be a big deal when I had a Meyer dumb thing would freeze up all the time even with there fluid and put in some heat. Never had a problem after that. I run boss two boss vee blades now and put heat in from the start. So I don't know if it is necessary but I did it any way. Oh by the way the I gave the Meyer to my dad let him deal with it but over all it has been a money maker just like the boss but I love my vee blades. Where is the dang snow some of you guys should share some of the white stuff.wesport wesport
  2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I've heard of putting Heet in the hydro fluid but it evaporates really fast. Hydro-fluid doesn't really freeze, it's the moisture. Synthetic hydro fluids help along with changing and flushing your fluid TWICE a year, once right before plow season and then directly after before storing your plow. We flush the pump every time we remove the plow during the snow season. If there is a nice warm day, wash your truck and plow, touch up any paint, flush the hydro fluid, clean battery posts and spray with protector. Fluid Film everything and check your tire air pressures.
  3. slclawn

slclawn Member
    from IN

It can't evaporate if it is not exposed to air.wesport
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you have water in your fluid.
    How did it get in their?
    Is more important than using heat.

I have heard of people using heat/alcohol, but temporally.

I use Boss fluid in all of my plows western, hiniker and the Boss.
    I have never had my fluid freeze, never and it gets kind of cool
    around here in the winter.;)
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Carful some of the plows won't except the synthetics, it eats the o-rings.
  6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Isnt freeze ups mainly a meyer issue?
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I run Fisher EZ-Flow Hydraulic fluid in mine. It is specifically formulated for cold weather and flows just as well at -10 F as it does at 45 F.
  8. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Mines never froze and its an E60.

I keep the boot on mine though, and no moisture gets to it for the most part.

9. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I run the Fisher fluid and never ever had a proplem with freezing up even in -35F. The movements are a little slower and drawn a few more amps. Drain and fill fluid once a year.

I've heard using "dry gas" as a temp fix for freeze ups. I've never have. My truck is always outside only sees the indoors when service is needed, once or twice a winter.

Good luck!