1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Avoiding a ticket: License Plate on Salter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Grn Mtn, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Cops are getting real picky around here lately, so to avoid an easy reason to pull me over I moved my obstructed license plate to a bracket I installed onto the frame of my salter. Then I made a short jumper from the brackets light to an extra 4 Pin trailer harness plug I had and just plugged that into the truck, This way when I take the salter off I have a quick disconnect for the light.

licensePlate_onSalter.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

nice job! they sure can't complain now!!! which terminal(s) is the light wired up to in the trailer plug?

I like the vanity plate as well, i did something similar.... MCW-LS

3. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

They dont give us no problem around here I got pulled over the other night doing 20 over the speed limit I tought oh great here we go a ticket for the speeding a ticket for the plate and a ticket for the tailight I had out. The officer said what are you doing out this late I told him I was tired and just finishing up my last account and when he came back to the truck he said allright Jeff slow down and let me off I about **** a brick. I guess it all depends on your area.

4. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

sorry but i wouldnt waste my time to move my plates around. If they have a problem with not being able to see your plate they are just being a d*c*. Im sure contesting a ticket would award you the win. Your providing a service to the community. How much you want to bet that cops dont brush the snow off of their plates so we can all see them.

5. Grn Mtn

Thanks, as to the color, um, can't remember off top of head, kinda cold out if you know what I mean. I just stripped the ends of each of the wires from the plug, turned on my truck lights, plugged in the harness and then touched the L.P. bracket light's wire to each of the four wires, when it lit, that was the one I used:eek: :D

I'll take a look later and let you know.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think that is a great idea Grn Mtn. The less reasons for them to pull you over the better. The more time you have to get some work done.

7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Here's what we do.

Mind the messy truck, salted in the morning, haven't had a chance to wash it yet, we do most washing at night, coin wash is not as busy.

All but one of use trucks have these custom C channel steel bumpers.
    Reasons for them are:
    Better protection somewhat.
    And nice for puting a hitch on to hail. We don't like those hidden hitches.
    And the bonus is works out nice for winter.

There is a licenece plate light on the back bumper at that right of the plate. just hard to see as it is incased by a steel cover,

IMG_0028b.JPG

IMG_0030b.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  8. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

havent had a problem yet was the tag light necessary

9. Grn Mtn

thats nice, I hadn't thought about the front!? DUH, that will be my next one

10. Grn Mtn

Yes, no light-no inspection sticker.

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i dont worry about my plates in the snowstorms usually the cops are too busy with accidents to pick on us plowdrivers

12. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't even move it to the plow unless:

-You have a third plate you can put on the plow and keep it there
    or
    - the plow stays on all year

13. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I would be more worried about when your just driving around about being pulled over, since as you seen that salter of ours. does not come on and off mid season.

14. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Our stickers are on front plates, we know people that have been ticketed for blocked plate.
    so spend time in court fighting it.
    or take the 2 minutes it takes to move it when you put the plow on or off.

it all depends how much time you want to spend, if you feel you'll never get stopped, and what the time will cost if you happen to get stopped.

15. Grn Mtn

That is what I thought too Dodgeguy99, until recently, a buddy of mine and fellow plowsite member got harassed in the middle of a snow storm an then was subjected to a DOT search. And his truck is mint, new equipment, all lettered- the cops around here are looking to increase ticket revenue and the new DOT number policy is helping them do it.:realmad:

Bruce'sEx, Hit the head of the nail there. I leave my plow and salter on all winter but will often run house/kid errands with it (keeps the name out there in my mind) during the day time.

16. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I got a friendly warning last year so I moved my plate up to the sander this year. One less reason in the future. The new thing is DOT numbers.....What buggs me the most is, most 1 tons have no name and number and 2/3 of the plowers have no flashing lights when plowing.

17. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

HELL,if i did that, i can beat the red light cameras.. around here the cops have a camera at every light.... so if my plate is covered than at 3 in morning when i stop at the light, wait 5 min for it to change i don't think so... i look and go...i'll keep it covered until i can't if that's the way my spreader was designed than that's what it is..but you have a great idea

18. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

lol i do that in the summer with mud on my plates

19. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Only the back plates are stickered here. I have never had any issue what so ever with my plates being covered. If they pull me over, my registration shows them my plate number, etc. But up here, cops turn the other way for us snowplow guys. They know our job is hard and we are out in the worst of it. They dont want to get out of their warm, comfy cars to bother us.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Last year buddy got pulled over because his plate was covered with salt, ($30 ticket). But, ended up pulling away with over $400 in tickets for not having a annual inspection and not having pre-trip inspection sheet and other stuff. A little $30 ticket can add up to a whole lot of other stuff once they got you already pulled over!