1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

avg # of residential pushes per hour

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dylan, Feb 26, 2004.

1. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

Just wondering how many residential pushes everyone can do on average in one hour. I'm using a 33 hp tractor with a 6' inverse snowblower. Topspeed = 25 kph ... AKA slow, but quick in the actual driveway.

My slowest average time is 7 drives per hour. Bad traffic, heavy snow, long, long travel times etc. 8.5 minutes / drive = way too long

Medium average time is 10 drives per hour. 6 minutes / drive = not too great either

Certain sections of my route with many houses together I do 15-18 / hr. 4 minutes / drive = much better

I think that with my setup and even less drive time next year, I should be able to do one drive every 3 minutes or 20 per hour.

Is anyone doing 30 or more per hour?

I did a search and found a few other results.

42 drives / hr. JD5410 tractor w/ 92" blower = 1.5 minutes per.
    60 drives / hr. Tractor. = 1 per minute. wow
    16 drives / hr. Tractor with 8' blade.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=8412&highlight=montreal

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

With a one ton and 9' plow in a 6" snow, no traffic and snow has stopped - two to three.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I said it takes me an hour to do 37 drives in some other thread... I must have been half asleep or something when i posted it:rolleyes: If its a small storm like under 3 inches i can usually get my route done in about two hours. If its 3-6 inches about 3.5 to 4 hours to do a good job. Anything over a foot especially 20" or more can take me the good part of a day to get all the drives looking clean and neat. I always get tons of flag downs in big storms so that takes time too but i get plenty of payup in return:nod:

4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

How big, how long, what is the degree of difficulty, and how far apart are they, these all are a big factor in how many you can do. I've got a couple of driveways that each take about 40 to 45 minutes each. So if I were to respond on those, I would say 1 an hour after driving. To do 20 an hour, they would all have to be straight back pushes or all 40' city drives in the same neighborhood that you back dragged, and even then, you have to clean up the end of the drive, clear the mailbox and put the snow someplace that the city plow truck didn't throw it all back on the end of the drive. Man they would have to be awful close together I would think to get 27-20 an hour. I wish I could get a bunch of driveways like that that I could get 17-20 done in an hour at $35 each, whew fat city!payup :yow!: :drinkup:

5. computerguy

computerguy Member

This is my first year plowing.:D
    I am doing 2 -3 per hour. At 45 per that is $90-$135/hr. That seems fair to everyone involved. And I almost have paid for the plow in the first year so i guess I am doing some thing right payup . Wish we would get som emore snow here but it almost looks like it is over. So next week I am headed to Daytona for Bike Week :drinkup:

6. westbrooklawn

westbrooklawn Member

About 6 per hour is all I can claim, and that is in the same development with no driving time. I can't imagine the numbers some of you are quoting!!!

7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I MUST BE A SLOW PLOWER

I find these amounts of drives per hour a little far fetched. If they are true numbers, I must be one slow guy at 5 city size drives an hour! With a 7.5 blade and a 3/4 ton truck. I have a chain of drug stores down to 40--45 min a store maybe I am slow there too. I do hope the guys posting those numbers are doing a good job for $35 or so a drive with 3 minutes work.

8. mole

mole Senior Member

I have 40 drive ways in a row and i can't do that in an hour. where are they putting the snow in the street if thats the case I could do the 40 in a half hour. Why does everyone want to go so fast?. Thats all I keep reading about. just do a great job and hold your customers for next year. Great you can say you did 60 driveways in 2hrs. but they might look like crap to the customer and then you wonder why next year that you lose customers. remember this job is about customer service and retention. Always take Care of the customer and they will take care of you. Forget about speed. get the job done and done right the first time.

9. dylan

Maybe posting the size of the drives will help. Mine average 500-1000 square feet. I will take some pics today. In fact, if I'm not too busy next storm I will film myself doing a street.

I am trying to determine different methods of doing residentials to find a faster way for myself. If you feel so inclined, contribute your vehicle, #/hr, density, and plow techinque. (backdrag, straight push etc.) Any little tips to safe time help. Some guys keep a spotter in the truck. Does this save time? Maybe. Lets get some new ideas.

Posted elsewhere was a guy who did a study over 10 yrs. Different setups, trucks, etc. His fastest combination: small jeeps/ S10. Using a front blade and rear blade combo. Why? Maybe better visability, sharper turning radius and a smaller quicker unit. He has times for tight little subdivisions, townhomes all in a row and even longer regualar plow routes.

Using the tractor and inverse snowblower setup might make it faster for some of us. By the time we have driven out of the driveway, all the snow has been blowen onto the yard. A single car drive takes two passes at 20 seconds each or less. 10' wide and 50' long. In my area, prices are so low, you need the production.

In my area, a plow truck gets $225-$275canadian PER SEASON. Yes that is per season. Divide that by 20 snowfalls and 20 plow banks and you are "earning" between $5.63 and $6.88 per push. So at 3-4 per hour one is going to starve. Tractors get a little more because they do a NEATER job and don't leave a big pile in the yard or tear up the lawn. If I could ever get $20 per push let alone $35 I would be rich.

In Montreal prices are as low as $200 canadian per season even for a tractor blower. (There are few plow trucks there because they have so much snow and nowhere to push it) That's $5 per push.

We need to go fast but our methods (tractor) insure neatness. I been approached 10 times so far this season by people who are using contractors with plow trucks and would like to switch next season because I do a neater job, faster even though I charge more. That is going to make my route even tighter.

It seems our markets are quite different. We strive for tight routes and efficiency if we want to survive because the $ are not there. I could probably never do your route that is done in a truck because it takes me forever to get anywhere at 25kph.

We might actually be making about the same $ because some guys get more per push and others do more drives per hour. If you do 4 per hour at $25 that's $100. I do 13 per hour at $7.50 and make $97.50 Of course, yours is in american. lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2004
  10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Sounds like your getting what you can. Probably the best setup for drives. If your route is so tight push your price up a little more. premium price for the premium job!!!!. There is no way I can make money doing residential jogs in my market.

Question, what do you use your tractor for in the summer?
    ...Chuck

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Last year I was doing 66 drives and 3 commercial lots in 7 or so hours with an average 2 - 4 inch snow fall. The commercial lots prob took me 3 to 3 1/2 hours to do. Some drive times are between res drives was from 5 mins to 15 mins. So thats about 15 drives an hour. I feel i can become way more efficient if i can tighten up the route allot. I be i could prob double my drives if i can concentrate on certain areas. I really plan on working on getting allot more business in my local area.

The question was asked " Why does everyone want to go so fast?. " Well to me fast = more money. Its simple economics fast meens i can do more drives meens i bring home more green stamps. But at the same time i do a good job. Here we don't do allot of shoveling. The most that we do is shovel away from the garage door. Also I'm hoping to pick up a back drag blade for my truck before next season to only help my time on site. Ive go a nice rhythm when I'm doing drives that are close together. First i pull in the drive and get my back dragging out of the way i then turn around and push the snow onto the apron of the drive. I then goto the next drive leaving the snow on the apron. After doing the whole street i then turn around and stack the snow on the tree lawn. We haven't been getting allot of snow these past snow so stacking at the end of the drive hasn't been to much of a prob. This may or may not work for your situations but it works for me. The average drive around here is about 100 or so feet long and may or may not be double wide. Also most drives around here will bring 15 to 30 dollars. Ive got a business plan to work on next year and ill let you guys know how it works out...Rob

12. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

One every 4 minutes, that's quite impressive. You have got to be melting more snow than you are plowing. I mean you have to be spinning the tires getting from 1 job to the next. I mean I have to believe you, but I don't see how you can keep up the pace, for more than a couple of hours. You obviously don't talk to anyone or have to stop for a restroom break, leave bills, talk on the phone or anything else plus there must be no traffic at all on the streets that you are working on. If you can do 15 per hour, more power to you, I can't see me being able to accomplish that feat, at $35 per drive, I would give up my commercial accounts in a heartbeat. I would be crazy to plow for $100 per hour when I could get $525 per hour doing driveways.
    Sign me up!!!!

13. dylan

In the summer the tractor gets used for landscaping. Loader on the front, rotadairon on the rear. Push broom for cleanups and parking lot sweeping. Forks for moving interlok around. Might put a mower on it. The possibilities are endless.

14. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well Gt,

I do try to go out only in the middle of the night, so that the traffic isn't too much a bother. And i don't kid you I'm mentally exhausted by the end of the night. I try to keep the breaks down to a min. Knowing my route intimately is a real key here. I know every detail of each property, keeping detailed notes is a help at times too. Also by going out in the middle of the night keeps the calls down to a min too. I like to work hard and play hard too its just a way of life. Oh ya last year I had to go out 3 times in less then 48 hours. Well i have a day time job so I think i slept the whole day after that. I'm very serious about plowing and i treat it as such.

15. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Hi Dylan,

We get $325-$375 seasonals for very small city drives in Toronto & we avg. 10-15 events.

I don't see how you can make any $$$ @ that price/event ratio.

16. dylan

I hear you Toby. It's something I'm working on all the time. Increased production and increased prices for a job well done.

For your 10-15 events, do you have to go back and get the plow bank? What are you plowing with?

We've had 16 events so far this year. One month to go. In my area, guys who shovel driveways get $200, truck/plows get $225 -$275 and tractor blowers get $300 - $375. our prices are close, we just have to do more events.

17. greenstone

greenstone Junior Member

i'm up in northern ontario. half on seasonal/half per event. 400-550.00/season ave 30 events (low this year at 24). per event is 15-20.00. We've had the same 30-35 resid. (500-1000 sq ft) for the lst 10 years (originally needed to take them on the to keep summer maintenance with them) . up till now we've been doing them with snowthrowers (toros) and bigger (32") blowers (Bolens). Average 6" snow take us 5-6 hours (1 blower, 1 shoveller for walks steps, etc) Early in the year when banks are low we cna knock them off with just shovels in 4 hours. Next year i want to concentrate more on snow vs. landscaping. I'd like to expand to about 100 accounts and have been trying to figure the most efficient way of doing this and need some input from you guys. My plan as of now is to either get a tractor (which i can also use in landscaping!) with an inverse blower, or a back blade and front mounted blower (drag out to apron then turn around and blow into yard) or just a FEL in place of blower. thinking the rear blade might do a better job of scraping smooth than the inverse blower??. These are full service accounts (everything has to be cleaned up, steps walk in front of garage and the apron from city plow 8-16 hours after snowfall. i was thinking i would start the route on the tractor and just go as fast to get them opened up while 2 guys go behind (either immediatley or delayed 6-12 hours to get all cleanup done at once) with shovels and snowthrower (and tractor if needed) this plan is dependent on getting accounts within a ?? maybe 5 km radius and thus ability to do 15-20 drives in an hour, which i think may be possible from what i've read here. sorry to make this so long. what do you guys think?

18. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

A tractor would seem to be too slow to drive from account to account...don't you lose allot in widshield time?

Dylan, the city usually gets the plowbanks but we do drivebys the following day to make sure. I use hydro walks w/blowers & blades & Toro single stagers, trailered to accounts on the small res. & truck set-up w/front back/plow. The hydro blowers are effortless to maneuver.

rad.jpg

19. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite greenstone:waving:

Start a new thread. Youll get more advice on your sitiuation.

20. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I only have 13 residential that I do. Most of my plowing is commercial. I have 8 drives within 6 blocks of one another. Must best time on the 8 drives is 90 min. That is just over 11 minutes per drive including drive time. Most of the drives are 800 - 1500 square feet. All include doing the walks, so I have to unload and load the snow blower. I really have to hustle to do them all in 90 minutes. I get $25 - 40 per drive. My other 5 drives are scattered across the rest of my route. Although the residential drives pay well ( I make more per hour ), I would much rather do commercial lots. I find them a lot less stressful and not nearly as demanding physically.