1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Averaging Annual Snowfall

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Theshoemaker, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

Hello, i am putting a few bigger bids in this season. I'm trying to do a little homework on averaging my annual snowfall amounts. In my area snowfall averages :
    Since 1968-1969:

• Average snowfall: 64.8 inches.

• Median snowfall: 62.4 inches.

• Years with more than 80 inches: 7.

I have averaged the last 10 years @ 77.26 inches. Usually just take the 77 and divide by 2 but that would give the amout of pushes. That is 36, I think that if i bid my contracts using the 36 pushes, i would'nt have a chance i would be too high. Most in my area use 25. I dunno maybe i'm just really nervous, but I HAVE THIS REALLY BAD FEELING THAT THIS WINTER IS GOING TO BE SUPER SNOWY. What number would you guys use?? 25 or the 36?? Maybe i will try some more per push work to offset my budget. I just Don't know.....

Thanks Again.

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

So your average storm is 2 inches? Ive never been to or worked in the midwest, but that sounds absurd!

3. Theshoemaker

No, 2" trigger, but we do get 2" snowfalls regularly. It's either a 2-3" or we get 6+ inch snow storm event.

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

have you ever plowed before and kept your own plowing records?

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Welcome to seasonals.....As your finding out, They're a crap shoot. If it was me, I'd stick with the 25 or maybe alittle lower as you probably won't be plowing every 2" at midnight but might let it accm alittle more then take care of it... just my 2 cents... bid them right (and competitively) and you'll make $ with whatever type of winter you have... have a mixture of per push and seasonal works best to CYA...

Good Luck!

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

we average 72 inches a year here in cleveland and over the last 5 years we have averaged 30 plowing events and 44 salting events. Now these numbers are for our accounts. We salt if there from a trace to 1 inch and we usually start plowing at 1 to 1.5 inch. It is our call when we begin and end service. Hope this helps

7. Theshoemaker

Yes, just kind of nervous, last winter we had a very light winter and i have this bad feeling that this winter is going to be very active. Was pretty much looking for some local "re-assuarance".

8. Theshoemaker

Thanks Aaron

9. Theshoemaker

And thanks Mick