1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average Snowfall For A Particular Area?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BASIC, Jan 13, 2004.

1. BASIC

BASIC Member

I'm trying to find the avarage snowfall for Sussex County,NJ in order to bid a contract.Do you have any ideas where i can find this information?Thanks,BASIC.

2. Huften Lawn

Huften Lawn Junior Member
    from CT

3. Huften Lawn

from CT

4. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thankyou but neither work out to well,BASIC.

5. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Basic
    I am trying to figure it out to. I live by Portsmouth NH. If you figure out how to do it please pass it on.
    Thanks

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Try your local TV weatherman. I hear it talked about all the time on our local channels.

7. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Try your local TV weatherman. I hear it talked about all the time on our local channels. Oops, local weatherperson.

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Something else, you will want to know the # of events also, say you get an average of 100' of snow. Are there 10 10" events, 20 5" events or 50 2" events. This should have a big bearing on figuring out your bid. I bid in 2" increments per event. I'm not saying that that is necessarily the right way, but it works for me where I'm at. In other words, I'll plow your property for x amt of $ for a 2" event, for 2.1" to 4" is another price (higher) and so on. Again, I'm just saying that that is my way, but maybe not the right way. If this thread stay's active for awhile, you should get 12 dozen different ways to do it. 2 dozen of which will tell me I'm doing it the wrong way.

9. BASIC,
    Go to the national weather service web site, enter your city or zip code, the site will then take you to a page for your area.
    At or near the bottom of that page you will see "snowfall history" click on that and it will give you the snowfall history for the past 30 years in your area, add up the yearly totals, take that figure and then divide that by thirty, and that will give you your yearly snowfall averages for you neck of the woods.
    If you need any help "pm" me and i'll walk you thru it.

Steve :waving:

10. Huften Lawn

from CT

According to the noaa Newark receives an average of 27.6" per year.

11. BASIC

BASIC Member

Thanks for all the help guys.Great Lakes Snow Removal,sir I went to the NOAA site and put in my zip,07419 and I did get a forecast but nothing about history.I'll PM you
    Huften Lawn,sir Newark is about 60 miles away from us and gets much less snow than us.Thankyou again for helping though,BASIC.

12. Forget my earlier post, hell, have the nws screwed up a good web site by re-designing the old one.
    The old site was user friendly and easy to navigate, as for the new one @#%$.

Steve :eek: :eek:

13. BASIC

BASIC Member

Steve,
    Thankyou for trying.
    BASIC