1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average snow falls per season??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sixtwojoe, Nov 22, 2004.

1. sixtwojoe

sixtwojoe Junior Member

Does anyone know a web site I can find out the average snow fall per year in the Detroit Mi. area or the average snow falls of 2" or more per season. Thanks

2. Midnight

Midnight Junior Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

4. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Standard Plows on 1/2 ton 4x4

So if winter here averages 48in. for the six months should I figure plowing about 24 times for somebody with a year contract? Or maybe about 20 times??

5. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Chuck I think you are estimating a little high at 20. You can figure that several inches of the 48 are going to fall in less than 2" increments which you wont plow. You can also figure that you are going to plow more than 2" from time to time depending on what time of day the snow is falling and how hard it is snowing. Only time and experience will tell for sure but I would guess more like 16 times at the most. We get over 60" according to those charts which surprised me I would have thought more like 30". I would estimate that I plow about 14 times a year but I plow anytime there is even a skiff just because I like to plow.

6. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

Thanks Crum, you get more snow than me, are you saying 16 times as opposed to your 14 times, just to protect?

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Yes I am saying 16 at the most to cover yourself. I am guessing way less than that but you don't want to bid your jobs thinking 10 events and end up doing double.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you have a 3" trigger, what I've found works well for figuring seasonal contracts is to divide the average snowfall for your area by "6", then multiply be the amount you'd charge for, say, 3" to 6".

So, for an annual average of 72" with a 3" trigger on a drive that you'd charge $30 to plow:

72"/6= 12
    12x30=$360

Now, if you have some figures from past years, you can see how much you made from this site. How does this compare to the total yearly income for any particular site?