1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average Residental Job

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by godjwood, Nov 5, 2009.

1. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

Hi,

I am planning on starting to plow this winter residentially.

I have been reading up on these forums a lot and they are very helpful, thank you all.

What I have gathered is that an average residential driveway would cost around $40 per push for say 1-3". Is this correct? When I think of a residential driveway I think of a say 20 ft driveway.

Now if this customer has a garage at the end this is more labor, correct? since you have to pull the snow away rather than just pushing it ot the end. Would you charge extra for this? if so, how much? $5? $10?

What about doing the walkway.. How much would you charge to hand shovel a typical walkway. An additional $5? $10? Included in the price?

I guess what I am asking is a typical price for these three scenarios:

1.) Straight average driveway, no garage at end

2.) Straight average driveway, garage at end

3.) Straight average driveway, no garage at end, shovel walkway.

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

$40.00.....

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

the more you do the more you charge

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

$40 is high around here. I started the season shooting for $35 average residential and no takers. I got alot of "I'd love for you to do it if you can match the $18 quote I got from Emilio Salazariguezalesancho." You get the idea.
    I tried a couple seasonal quote also based on a discounted rate of $25 / push x 18 events. They all about chit their pants. I just told them basically that I can't match Emilio's price for various reasons and I would be more than happy to service their account mid-season if Emilios gets cold and hops the first late season turnip truck for Tijuana. (sorry, I'm bitter)

5. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

im between 20 and 40..

(20 being a very very small driveway.. basically 10 ft wide by 25 ft long.. but an old lady lives there and i have a heart)

6. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

I got a $40, $35, and a $20-$40.

So I guess $35 is a good starting point.

Would you charge extra for the walkway? Or taking into account a garage at end of drive?

7. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

Personally I really just have a minimum of $50 bux, doesnt really make it worth it for me or to send a guy out there to do it for less... I think I have 1 or 2 accounts under $50 but they are landscaping accounts of old women who I wouldnt mind keeping. This year, if anyone says $50 is too much Im moving on, too much commercial work, so Im staying away from drives this year. Only ones Im keeping are of the big multi-million dollar homes which Im making 100-150 a push or my clients who spend a lot of money with me during the season.
    Give yourself a minium price that you feel you are worth... Put into account driving, gas, cost of your plow etc... What may work for one of us may not work for you, you know?

8. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

If I said how much I get for a drive you would laugh. No one here would fork out $40.00 a drive with 58 events last year and I would say that's near average. Families are generally not going to spend more on snow services for a season than they would on food for a month. I believe that to be true in most markets.

9. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

between $30 to $50.
    $30 with no driveway, $40 and up with a driveway. I go by the pass. If over 6 inches I go out i go out twice and therefore charge for two visits

10. godjwood

godjwood Member
    from ri

...$30 with no driveway? u mean walkway?

11. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Nope No driveway,
    I do both, but if no driveway, Just me and the snowblower for the front walk and stairs

12. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I have priced mine out for the season depending on how many cars wide and deep it is along with shape and if I am doing sidewalks and walkways. A straight driveway is a little cheaper than a driveway that opens to the right or left and closes to a single car wide at the entrance.

I am anywhere from 275-525 for the season. Your late on your start and I hope you have been out getting contracts already, otherwise you might have do it as a hobby this year or sub for somebody else.

13. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

i havnt been able to land any walks yet... i would add 10 to 15 bux to do a walk depending on the size..

14. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

$23.50 is my minimum charge. That is a 2 car drive with no obstacles. It goes up from there.