1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average Plow-able Storms?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by toast, Dec 9, 2007.

1. toast

toast Member

I have a client, with a verbal agreement, and he called today, talked with his buddy, and got a quote for $150 for the season, and wants to know if I will honor that...

How many average plow-able storms do you seasonal guys charge? Are there any clauses in the contract for really bad winters? Looking for MN guys, but feel free to chime in your situations.

He is a friend, and I know that complicates things, I'm willing to give him a deal, but not willing to risk losing money on his driveway.

Thanks in advance.....

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

400 to 450 for the seasonal contract here in cleveland, and that is based off 15 plows. I have clause if I go over 15. 16 and17 are free. and after that I charge a per push rate of usually 30. 150 for the season.i dont know how much snow you get there, but to be in MN i would think you get quite a bit. 150 is not worth it, even though he is your friend.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You didn't give any particulars about the area, but why doesn't he go with his buddy? But to answer your question - "No way." End of story. And I haven't even looked up the average snowfall for your area.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. toast

toast Member

He has a 2 car garage, the driveway is extended about 4 feet from the house, which makes it easy to just push the snow over there...minimal back dragging.....it is not out of my way at all (on the way to do my parents), and he waits until all the snow has fallen, and the city plows his street, not a 7am clear by any means...kind of when I get to it..

6. toast

toast Member

Thanks for that link Mick!

7. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

He is your client & friend and he got a price from his buddy.

I would let his buddy have it for $150 and then next year he won't be his buddy because his buddy got upset plowing for $150 a season.

If you had a verbal agreement and he is shopping around, I would drop him and let him know why.

At 20 pushes that is $7.50 per push. Can you do it for $7.50 per push?
    At 15 pushes that is $10.00 per push. Can you do it for $10 per push?
    At 8 pushes that is $18.75 per push. Can you do it for $18.75 per push?

In the end it is your call. Good Luck

8. toast

toast Member

I just called and left a message for him saying I was uncomfortable doing a seasonal rate at this time. Another funny thing is I've done 2 pushes for him already, and he wanted to discount the amount paid from the $150! Thanks for the input!