1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average length of your route

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kodiakguy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

I was just wondering how other people are with their routes.

We try to keep ours at about 5 or 6 hours. We make good money and I know we have room for more. But I like to leave room for error, anything from a truck going down to a nasty storm with traffic nightmares. It lets us get everyone done on time.

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We try to keep them around six as well.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Considerably shorter this year so far....Friggen dumb a@@ lowballers. Same as you guys, 5-6hrs more towards the 5hr side.

4. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

same here 5-6 hours.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

8-10 deepending on the snowfall. Equipement routes are also different, we run 24hrs a day, 12hr shifts, but there is lots of clean up and hauling after a snowfall is done sometimes

6. Neige

Neige Sponsor

We are around 4 hrs for our resi and commercial. The larger sites with dedicated equipment go to 6 hours. Hauling snow is always done 48 hrs after a storm, and continues till its all done.

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I keep mine to around 6 for employees, my route is usually 10 or so, but I try to keep up with superman most snow days. I am servicing a zero tolerance lot this year that is 14 acres, so I would guess I will be out for 20 or so hours each storm.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

with 2 Jeeps
    a 2" storm about 4 hours
    4 inch ~6 -7
    20 inch ~22 hours

21 miles to drive past each of my 110 customers

~220 miles to plow a 6" storm (odos now track reverse mileage)

9. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Yup, 5 to 6 hours. 5 hours is nice, but I try to allow 8 hours for really big storms.

10. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Lol, usually takes 7-8 hrs for the route but I'm typically out for atleast 30 hrs at a clip before everythings done.

11. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

This depends a lot on the timing of the snowfall. If it starts to snow during the day, we send out 4 or 5 machines to keep the entrances, loading docks and laneways in the parking lots usable. Then, we usually send out the entire crew about 9 p.m. and they should all be back at the shop by 7 or 8 a.m. We tell our customers that they'll be open for 7 a.m. If the snow has stopped, everyone gets to go home and comes back in for 9 p.m. that night to do everything again. Second pass usually takes about 5 or 6 hours, depending on what time the snow stops.

Our municipal stuff starts at 5 centimetres and keeps going all the roads are clean after the snow stops. Each wingtruck usually does a minimum of 5 hours per snowfall.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

A few years ago, I only had 2 trucks. I loaded them full with 10hrs of plowing each. Luckily we didn't have any breakdowns. Big storms weren't fun, as we ended up being out way to long. Now I schedule trucks around 6-8hrs max. I mostly do driveways, although commercial jobs are starting to come my way.

13. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I run 8hrs for commercial route, then another 5 for daytime residential.

14. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

We are at 8-10 hrs for 2-4" of snow.

15. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

5-7. If we are showing up more then 7 hours later that is completely unexeptable imo.