1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Average cost for ice melt

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bdlawncare, Dec 24, 2011.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

As many of you know I am relatively new to this forum, and new to the industry... What I am wondering is.. How much on average would you guys pay for a 50 lb bag of ice melt... I know there are many different types and prices but am just going to get something simple locally.. And would like to have a resonable average... If nobody minds please post what type of salt and how much per bag so I can judge if i am in the ballpark when I go to pick it up....
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

415 for a bag of rock salt in cleveland.15 for a bag of calcium.
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm paying 12$ per bag i believe.
    Merry Christmas!
  4. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am paying $4.00 a a 50pd bag for regular rock salt and $7.50 a bag for "Safer than salt" (a combination of sodium chloride, calcium chloride, potassium chloride (a fertilizer), magnesium chloride and calcium magnesium acetate (CMA) ) I use both because some of the contracts I have prohibit the use of salt on concrete surfaces.:)
  5. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

i just got qouted 7 per bag of rock salt, but only if i buy the hole pallet. I think the safer than salt runs about 15 per bag in bergan county... but thats a 1 bag price i believe i will have to see tommorow... Thanks for the info guys!
  6. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

Best price i got was like $5.50 a bag pallet price (49 bags). Also calcium chloride or "magic" as we call it is like $12-13 a bag but i have to buy a pallet.
  7. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

Im using Ice Melt for 8 bux
  8. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Bags of ice melt soium calcium blend are 7-8 depending on blend and strait salt is around 4.
  9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Someone had straight rock salt on sale around here for $3.50 for a 50# bag. I think I paid between that and $4.00 per bag last season.

Historically, I've more effective results with salt than with other "ice melt" products. Dollar for dollar, I think it works best; that is until you get into very cold temperatures.
  10. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I pay 5.25 for 50lb bag. I don't use a lot of salt.

I love my Z