1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Available Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rblake, Feb 18, 2009.

1. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

Just recieved a fax from last years supplier saying that they have all the salt I need. Minimum order of 400 tons. Lets see, 2 weeks left in feb and maybe 2 weeks in march - maybe they should have not cut of all of the private contractors and not rely on all of the municipalities. It would be interesting to see what there price is.
  2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

400 tons well thats about 8 to 10 tractor trailer loads, sounds like they are desperate to move the crap
  3. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

hope they get stuck with it and they think twice about pulling this **** in the seasons to come.
  4. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

ditto, Prices are starting to drop around stl too. Maybe they will learn their lesson.
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

about 15 loads here in MO
  6. leon

leon Senior Member

salt etc.

I would like to comment on this as a former employee of a salt mining company with a big green teardrop.

It is a basic economics homework problem:

The law of supply and demand always governs any mined product or anything else for that matter.

In rock salt or solar salts use for deicing the sales window is from September 1st to May 1st of the fiscal year.

The reason they are trying to sell is simply one of supply at a larger price(cost to the reseller and they want to reduce thier respective inventories to zero to maximise thier sales and eliminate inventory carry over to the following salt season simply because it is a problem of dealing with a large accounts payable liability to the bulk salt seller.

The mine operators have no worries unless they have a massive amount of salt and no where to move it due to poor sales years from warmer weather over a two year period.

In economics you are either a supply sider-being the mine operators or bulk resellers; a demand sider being the municipalities, or a pragmatist being the smaller user.

As I have repeatedly said here on plow site the salt shortages are man made simply due to overuse of salt period and the fact that the municipalities will not store an entire seasons worth of salt on their properties due to pollution concerns and having to do with annual budgets and spreading operating expenses throughout the year and dealing with smaller and smaller revenue streams from taxes or federal aid.

Every time the salt is gone the municipalities, states, townships etc. are given priority due to thier contracts and how the contracts are written to provide X plus amounts rock salt typically being 20-25 percent more salt than is contracted for with the supplier and this will never change due to the bare roads policy in most states in the snow belt areas.

The only way you will over come this is to form a co-op and it will end the problem as I have stated before on the forums.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  7. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Thank this contractor for wasteing salt (not me)

Ya think they used enough salt in this parking lot? I took pictures of 8 other lots where the salt was put on like water.Now you know .

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  8. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Couple more over salted lots

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Ive seen much worse than those pictures wish i had a camera with me. Could it be they were just salting a thin layer of black ice in those pictures?
  10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's not that bad. It's easy to criticize after the fact......what were the circumstances (weather) prior to the application?

I'll bet if you were to sweep that parking lot, you wouldn't be able to fill a 5 gal bucket. The other lots you'ed be hard pressed to fill a coffee can full from the looks of your pic.You call that over salting?

Sounds like something a property manager would say. No matter the conditions they expect the lots salted, and once melted want ZERO salt residue remaining.
  11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Why are you taking pictures of 9(or more) parking lots that you don't do?!?

Just curious......
  12. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

Over-salt this. Quit fretting about the job someone else is doing and worry about what it is that you do.
  13. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Judging by the lack of snow in the lawn across the street i'd imagine that was probably a real light snow, or icing and the salt didnt have that much work to do, but the lot was probably still slippery, so theres some left for the next little event.
  14. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that is overkill! i would get a butt chewing around here for dumping that much salt.......they also should have used a fine grade salt that would disolve with the storm and not leave such a mess.....
  15. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

Its funny to read all the posts, sounds to me that must be how the negative posters salt. The snow fall was a dusting less then 1/4 inch then the wind blew 15 mph .The lots weren't even covered in snow.We take care of many commercial lots and lmao we didn't spread a crumb.Pure over kill, sweep the lot and get a coffee can, yeah right.Its called bend over and charge the company for the use of something that wasn't needed,mean while we have to pay though the nose for salt.As for taking pictures of lots i don't do, is there a law against that?
  16. HinikerPrototyp

HinikerPrototyp Member

I do worry about what i do and whats better for the environment.You being in the landscape business should know how to care for planet earth,if you don't care about it you shouldn't be in the land care business .
  17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yeah right.....seriously.

Sweep the lots and tell us how much you are able to collect. You won't be able to fill half a coffee can with the looks of the bottom 2 pics. You seem to have the time.

Of course there is no law against increasing your carbon footprint by needlessly driving around taking pictures of other peoples work and criticizing.

Better yet, post pic's of you work so we can all see what perfection is. :p
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Many of us happen to know Turfscape is very conscientious and knowledgeable when it comes to the environment. Same on your lose accusation of him not caring.

So the salt you throw doesn't go back into the ground (where it came from) and the salt the rest of us throw is ruining the planet?

Please tell us more Mr. Gore. :D
  19. Tscape

Tscape Senior Member

NEWSFLASH: When you salt a lot, there is going to be residue. Period. End of story.

We are safety stewards. We ensure safe travel during inclement weather. I am sure the potential clients that you address with this notion of "over-salting" are less than impressed with your potential ability to provide safe passage on their site. Keep working it though, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree I also like residue left so there is some for the next storm.