1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auxiliary reverse lights

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jdsquire, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jdsquire

jdsquire Member

Ok guys....looking for good ideas for some extra reverse lighting. I've got a '99 Super Duty and want more light off the back. I want to go below the rear bumper but afraid to know em off or collect too much snow on em to be effective. I've looked at a few other rigs with em installed on a headache rack, but that seemed to light up more of the bed and not the ground behind where it's needed most. Any pics or ideas are appreciated.....tks
  2. Plowin Dodge

Plowin Dodge Member

I picked up a set from amazon.

truck rear (800x450).jpg
  3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think I got pics of it. We installed a Back Rack, lights on the rack. And lights under the bumper. Separate switches. Just used machine lights, cause there gonna get damaged eventually.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6. anteater6788

anteater6788 Junior Member
    from Iowa

I made one that goes in the receiver hitch because I drive a truck for somebody else and didn't want it to be permanent. If it was my own truck I would build a new tailgate with a piece of 2x4x1/8" tubing across the bottom and expanded metal for the rest. That tubing would be big enough to mount four 6 1/2" backup lights in as well as some 2" strobes. Having the rest of the tailgate be expanded metal so you can see through it would be nice for backing up close to stuff.
  7. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Could always mount them in the rear stake pockets of the bed. I've seen a few guys around here do that
  8. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

I picked up some cheap ones from harbor freight. I think they were about $15 before I used a 20% off coupon (they send them constantly). I figured I'd knock them off or back over something so I wanted something cheap. They're bright enough for what I wanted, although you may want brighter. I think they're 55w, maybe. One thing nice about the halogen compared to LED is that if they're on for a period of time it melted off the snow. I also wired mine with a different switch, that way I could have them on/reverse only/off. Easy to wire up, once I realized my mistake on the switch.
  9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use the same Harbor Freight lights. I to wonder about LED being able to melt the snow off themselves. My lights are wired to the backup lights (separate power use relay). Dont have to remember to switch on or off or blinding any one behind me.
  10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

11. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Been discussed quite a bit, personally if it's my own truck I put them under the bumper, puts the light right where I want it. I usually don't have any issues with snow covering the LEDS unless I back through a tall windrow or something.
  12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just my 2 cents here... had a backrack with lights on it... hated the glare when plowing while it was snowing. Light was not focused to the back of the truck enough causing a glare from the flakes of snow.

I have had tons of trucks with just regular Tractor Supply ag lights, then as LEDs became cheaper, LED's on them mounted on each side of the receiver... they have seldom let me down... dont back into piles and they will stay intact.
  14. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

We just switch out stock reverse lights for LED bulbs with the highest lumens I can find and then we add the lights in the link just below the tail light on the body of the truck. Two per side with one facing straight back and one where the body curves so they are out 45 degrees from straight back.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

think on the new beater ill hook 2 small lights by the receiver and connect them to the trailer wire feed..the oem trailer package has 3rd brake light and backup light feeds