1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auxiliary GAS tank in bed of truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by peterk800xc, Dec 2, 2005.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I am looking for and cannot find an auxiliary GASOLINE tank to put in the back of my plow truck to eliminate the hassles of finding a gas station at all hours of the night to gas up.I have looked at all the tanks that Northern Tool sells and other etailers but in the tank descriptions, they all read-" NOT for the transportation of GASOLINE". I was wondering what the difference is between the tanks meant for diesel fuel and gasoline besides being that gas is defintely more volatile.Do any of you use these tanks for gas or just diesel? Thanks.:confused:

2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

im afraid of riding around with so much gas so close to me.:yow!: ..thats like a rollin bomb and im not one to tempt fate. plus with gas prices so high i run into the possiblity of gettin syphoned.

3. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

GAS tanks have to be certified for emissions and safety

Transfer tanks (bed mounted) are only for diesel. A gasoline tank needs to have it's location safety (DOT/FMVSS) certified and also certified to meet emissions laws. Quite a few manufacturers make auxiliary or larger gas tanks but they usually mount in the factory location or close to it for safety reasons.

If you google auxiliary gas tanks you will find quite a few manufacturers. Most are not cheap though!

4. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I keep a red plastic 5 gal can in the bed, surrounded by salt bags. One night my truck, GMC 3500 dually dump 2 tanks, stopped running with the gas gauge on 1/2. It was obvious that the pump between the tanks quit. I was glad to have the extra 5. Is it dangerous? Landscapers carry 4 -5 5 gal can all the time and I never heard of one of them blowing up.

5. genrock

genrock Member

I think what you may want is a fuel cell they are dot approved and can be mounted in the bed of your truck or in your spare tire position under the bed either way it will take some tweaking and figuring but im sure you can make it work with external fuel pump etc. I myself just keep two 5 gallon cans in my tool box because the cold weather plays hell on my fuel sensors. Cant trust my gauges enough to not have extra gas on hand.

6. jimmy3

jimmy3 Junior Member

go to transferflow.com

7. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

Thanks!

You are right as the made for GAS tanks are very expensive. Guess I will do what you others are doing-a couple 5 gallon cans in the back secured down. :)

8. sunriseturf

sunriseturf Member

If you have the right facility have a 300 gallon tank with a hand crank pump delivered to your site. We hve a company called Taylor Oil (owned by Gulf ) that specializes in on site fueling for equipment and to above ground tanks. They come in a fuel oil type truck and can deliver on road diesel, off road diesel or gasoline. They supply the tank for nothing and you just have to use them for fuel. It cost about the same as your closest gas station. Hope it helps.

9. moosey

moosey Senior Member

Tsc or your locla co-op has them but check with the dept of transportation in your state. I have one for gas and have never been bothered about it. Just make sure u have a fire extinguisher with ya. I use it for weight.