1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auxilary lamps

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snaaar, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

2001 Duramax 2500 HD Silverado:

I just bought three 55-watt lamps: two to hook up as additional back-up lamps and one to attach to my little tailgate salter. I figured I'd run a wire from the trailer hook-up, split it and run into the two back-up lamps and ground them to the frame near the rear bumper. Is this a good idea?

Also, more specifically a question associated with my particular truck: I want to connect the salter light to the switch on my dash - "Auxilary Lamps" - its a push on/off button that looks to be stock, to the left of Passenger Air Bag on/off switch. Problem is, I don't know how to tie into it : its not mentioned at all in the owner's manual. Any ideas?

For some reason right now the search option is not working for me on this site, otherwise I know there probably has been ample discussion of these issues.
  2. fordboy

fordboy Senior Member

The wiring for the aux, is in the headliner, If you are going to hook those lights up to your reverse lights you will probably want to run a relay to boost your power output from the reverse lights otherwise you are taxing the factory wiring pretty heavy and may start blowing fuses or worse, Aaron
  3. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

"in the headliner" - you'll have to elaborate please - where?

Just assume I am an idiot. What type of relay, where should I locate the relay, and how exactly should it be wired?
  4. lieutlamson

lieutlamson Member

I forget if it has a 20 or 30 amp fuse. I have a 6 strobe power supply running off my aux button and they have run for 24 hours straight without shutting off, with no problems.
  5. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 Senior Member

Your 2 back up lights alone will draw about 9 amps. That should be OK to tie into the trailer wire harness. Your truck was designed for seperate circuits for the trailer and the truck so everything should be heavy duty enough to handle the lights.

Your one spreader light will draw about 5 amps. The auxilary wire in the headliner will be sufficient. I dont really know how or where to find this wire but remember hearing that it runs up the front left collumn and is laying lose in the headliner somewhere.

Try searching on fullsizechevy.com or GM-Trucks.com.

I havent tapped into this wire myself yet just b/c it seems like it is too much work. Why couldnt they have made it accessable under the dash too since it is there for future expasion.
  6. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

not to hijack this thread, but who are you and where in danvers are you? good to see a fellow "danvis" man here.
  7. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

OK. Lawnmaster, you helped a lot, thanks. Just based on your comments, I am inclined to proceed as I have stated. For me, the simpler the better.

I'll try searching as suggested.
  8. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

I found mine by removing the third brake light and fishing the wire out with a stiff wire. Drill a hole through the third brake light lens, run wire, silicone up the hole.

I use mine for a single strobe.

9. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

I did finally find a mention in the owners manual, but it says a qualified tech can hook up a roof light - doesn't mention location of wire. Maybe I need a repair manual.

Calls to dealers got me nowhere so far. I removed the cab brake/cargo light assembly and didn't see any extra wiring in there.
  10. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I can wire the aux lamp up in about 15 mins. The best way to get to it is from the drivers side.

1. Remove the sun visor (Torex)
    2. Remove the plastic peice on the a piller
    3. Pull back the Plastic peice behind the front drivers seat on the b piller (Reg Cab)
    4. Remove the Rear coat hook (two peices the outside or bottom of the hook pulls down. I use a flat head screw driver to seperate it and then remove (Kinda tricky becasue there are these plastic barbs that hold onto the headliner inside.
    5. Remove the 3rd brake light
    6. These is this black plastic fastener that is behind the brake light, release that to release the headliner enough to pull it down a bit without breaking it.
    7. Go to the drivers side and just above the seat under the headliner you will see a wire that runs up the A post and seperates off and goes towards the center of the roof. It is the wire you need. It will be coiled up and taped to the roof, so you will have to give it a good tug.
    8. Once you have the wire, get a friend to look through the 3rd brake light as you push the wire around. You will have to play with it untill it is set.

Now you will have to notch out some of the brake light, I always do it with a drill and notch the top center of the lense. This will make room for the wire to go in. Then seal it with silicone.

I hope this helps
  11. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

Those are good instructions for connecting a roof light.

Since I want to use the aux lamp switch to connect to a salter light, I'd like to connect in the engine compartment or low in the cab, so I can get to the frame rails quickly.

Maybe somehow under the fuse box I could tie in.