1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aux. trans cooler

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mustangEd, Feb 12, 2009.

1. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

We are installing an auxillary trans cooler in my
    brothers 96 Dodge 1500.
    This to go along with the new rebuilt trans.
    Should we bypass the radiator cooler and only run
    the aux. cooler or run thru both?

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

I'd run it in addition to, the factory cooler. don't forget to flush all the lines out, before you plumb in the new tranny!
  3. Kunker

Kunker Member

And make sure you add the new cooler *after* the radiator cooler.

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

A transmission repair shop suggested to me to keep the radiator cooler and add the additional cooler so that when it is cold the engine will warm up the transmission to operating temp.Have you seen the dual circuit coolers with a circuit for the transmission and the power steering with a fan and adjustable thermostat. I have them in a few Broncos.I got mine from Summit, they are Maxi Cool units #13315. The adjustable thermostat is an additional part.I also plumbed mine in with a tee on both circuits so to change fluid just open ball valve and drain.
  5. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

One advantage of NOT running the cooler with the rad cooler is that on a older truck if your radiator becomes defective and starts leaking anti freeze into the cooler you aint gonna ruin the tranny.
  6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

If it were me I would not use the radiator cooler unless i had a way to flush it out very well.

I know when I had mine built, it could not be installed until the stock cooler was flushed and was COMPLETELY clean inside. The contaminants that remain in the stock cooler can destroy the new trans.

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Seems like the cost of having the radiator guy check and completely clean radiator may be cheeeeeep compared to a break down or chance of damaging your new transmission.Didn't the transmission guy have the radiator cleaned so he could give you a warranty??
  8. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

Thanks for the replies guys,
    Everything is already flushed rather well,
    considering the 4 gal. of fluid that went Through it
    to finish the route and get her home.
    Everything coming out now is clean fresh fluid
    within the last 5 miles or so. A quick clean out
    and back in as soon as the trans is back. Found
    a local guy to rebuild it for $750, 2 day turn around.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I upgraded last season when I had my trans replaced to a bigger trans cooler then stock. I tried bypassing the radiator but found the trans operated much hotter while plowing when only running the trans cooler. I rerouted the lines and went back to the original way it was (radiator cooler then trans cooler) and it was much much better.