1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aux. Switch power supply

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Muirs Landscape, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Muirs Landscape

Muirs Landscape Member

In a 08 super duty is there a way to hook up the power supply main power to the upfitter switches? Like turn on switch 1 the front strobes will come on and switch 2 wil do the back strobes. Looking to install a whelen kit. 6 Head.

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

You need to have a separate power lead for the power supply that is constant + from the battery, in addition to the power from the switches to the activation wires.

3. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i did it on mine. hook up power/ground to battery then the switch inputs to which ever upfitter switch you want to use. very easy and quick to and looks nice with the upfitters

4. BlueLine Ent

Kyle what I think he was asking though was could you hook up the main power to the switch with the activation wires, and the case is no. It also voids the warranty on the supply.

5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Visit hte Ford web site

This shows the 2005-2007 diagram & the 2008 diagram for the super duty's.
    These diagrams are easy to follow and color coded as well.

If there is one power supply for the entire stobes system I don't think it is possible
    If there are separate power supplies then it should be very easy.

I am curious to know how the whelen strobes mount into the rear of the 08 because there is not much room.

I am looking for something for my 08 and at this point undecided.
    I would appreciate others input who have installed strobes or LED's on their 08 superduty

https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS/non-html/Q117.pdf

6. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

matt i missed that. muirs you cant do that just like matt says. the supply needs to have a constant power either from the battery or equivalent. the upfitters can only be used to activate the strobe bulbs

7. BlueLine Ent

The only place for strobes in the rear of the 08s is in the tail light and also in the red empty reflector section below the taillight.

The question regarding the supply has nothing to do with how Ford has the upfitter switches set up. The upfitters are the same as any other switch, they apply a + current to the lead. The issue is with the suppy. The supply requires 1 constant positive feed from the battery at all times. In addition there are 2 more leads, one to activate heads 1+2, the other to activate heads 3-6. The two activation leads would get hooked to the upfitters, and the main power needs to go back to the battery.

8. jason t.

jason t. Member

Not sure about the strobes, but I just installed the Vertex leds. Reverse lights in the rear,
    top light on front, (i can't remember but almost positve it the turn signal)

I wired them front lft to rt. rear, and front rt to lft rear. I used upfitter #3 for #4 for the other. 3 and 4 are fused at 10 and 15 amp, #1 and 2 are 30 amp, that is why I went 3 and 4.

A few of the reasons I went with the vertex instead of the strobe kit, no power supply needed, no heat issues with the leds, blinding bright and easy to install. Oh and most of all, Dissociative recommended them and gave me great instructions on the install.

9. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

BS ..you don't need a constant feed from battery at all......

you can wire it the way you wanted with no problems what so ever...take the power wire and make it into two wires.....then take the 1-2 wire and run that wire with one of the two power wires to the first upfitter..

take the 3-4-5-6 wire and attach it to the other power wire and run to the second upfitter switch...no battery wire needed...

also make sure you use the 2 switches that are 10amp...save the 2 30 amps for bigger extras...this supply only draws like 6 amps max...i know it says something in the warranty but i don't think they are gonna come look at your truck

thanks bro....glad i could help...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  10. Muirs Landscape

Muirs Landscape Member

Thanks guys i went down to Adamson Industries in Haverhill they are slow and will install for me. im going to go with the hide-a-led so i can install them in the reverse section of the taillight.

11. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

it's really easy...don;t pay more that 150 for it..,

12. BlueLine Ent

Good luck at Adamsons, they are hacks and super high priced.