1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AUX plug Lighter Plug Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by millsaps118, Dec 23, 2008.

1. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I have a 2002 HD with the 2 AUX plugs and 1 lighter plug all located next to the ash tray. They all worked fine up until today when I kept blowing the fuse in the plug for my Target Tech Highlighter. The plug got so hot I couldn't even touch it.

I replaced the fuse and plugged it back in using the cig plug this time. Less then 5 min later same thing happened. I tried it a neither time and now neither of my sockets work and I couldn't charge my cell. I checked the AUX fuse and Cig fuse under the hood and all are fine. I also tested them all with a test light and everything all checked out, I was getting power but not to my sockets.

I'm thinking the wires on the sockets got fried but couldn't check 'em since that requires taking apart the lower dash and that looks like a B'yatch to do!

Anyone have suggestions or have/had this problem?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 99-up GM trucks are well known for their power plug issues. Namely the sockets failing, shorting out and blowing the fuses. The 12V wires attached to the connector in the center are known to get loose and cause a great deal of resistance (which = heat) in the circuit which fries the socket and again causes blown fuses.

Update the power port sockets or install replacement ports in another convenient location with their own dedicated wiring and fuses. :nod:

3. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

Do you have a center console with the cup holders in it? If you do the top comes off of that (think is just snaps on) and you should be able to get to the plugs.

4. millsaps118

That sounds like exactly my problem. For now I'm running my light bar and cell charger off my jump pack I bring with and set on the floor.

Thanks
    I have the cup holders, but from there to the sockets I have that little compartment where the door flips up and it holds like 4-5 CD's.

5. bula_1984

bula_1984 Member

The front around the radio and all that just snaps off then you should be able to get to them. I have a suburban that they are on the pass side of the cup holers.

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Hard wire your lightbar to a switch instead of the plug in.

7. millsaps118

Snapping off the outer trim piece won't allow access to them. I have this exact same dash layout show in the pic..
    I thought about doing that but I don't like keeping my light bar on the truck all the time. I suppose I could wire in a quick connect tho.

02 HD dash.jpg