1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AUX plow lights OPTIONS needed!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by BigBoyPlowin, Dec 30, 2012.

1. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

Well we have a 9'2" V on a 4500.. We got annoyed with the lights jumping around.. Which just adds to the frustration after plowing for 24hrs so a while back we ground them off..

The truck sits up so high that you really dont need them anyway! Only problem we have run into is Every once in a while we have to get out and uncover the lights..

Am I the only crazy one who has done this??
    Trying to figure out what kind of lights and where i could put them on the truck so i can see yet not get covered in snow..

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I hear good things about the new hiniker style lights.
  3. BigBoyPlowin

Im actually thinking about putting HID lights in there.. Still debating
  4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I put the HIDs in mine. My headlights don't jump around at all. Your problem might be the mounting bolts have either loosened up OR the sockets that they go into on the bottom of the headlight housing are kinda thin and they loosen up after a while causing the same problem. I've had that happen a couple times. If you do the HID kit, just remember on the GMs the polarity on the passenger side is opposite. Red wire/White stripe inside the headlight housing is positive so hook up your HID kit to that configuration. It will look like your plugging the jumper harness into the HID ballast backwards, which you kind of are, but thats how it works.
  5. BigBoyPlowin

I'll remember that!
    We installed KC off road lights on the plow today... I have them on the other plow... i like how they run HOTTT But i May still do the HID's

I thought the HID lights were just plug and play? might be mistaken though..
  6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

A couple rigid industries lights and you'll be able to see up to 1500 meters. Or you could get one 50" across the top...
    Rigidindustries.com get e series
  7. BigBoyPlowin

HOLY _________ REALY $1500 FOR A LIGHT BAR?!?!? I rather not see :laughing:

On a side note, i heard the small square ones where nice.
  8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

they are...just need to put that one plug in backwards. AlaskaBoss on here made a nice write-up about the mod. Depending on what brand of HID you go with, you may not need to modify your headlight housing like he did. I didn't have to with mine but I could see if you had bigger ballasts it would be needed.
  9. ilucas

ilucas Member

rigid dually d2's diffused lens.....awesome for back up lights,wired to upfitter swithches.

Probably could have gotten away with just one as they are pricey!! I like the balance of two though.... anxious to see how they work when backing up boat or equipment trailer.