1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aux Lighting Under Cross Bar

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by JeepTJ, Dec 26, 2008.

1. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Has anyone added a pair of auxiliary lights (fog, driving, floods, etc) to the bottom side of the Sno-Way light cross bar (ST-90)? I was thinking of adding something to better illuminate right in front of the Jeep forward to about 60 feet, while plowing driveways. I would switch them on/off through a relay actuated by either my fog light or driving light switch. What would be a better type of light for this application?

Thanks,

Fran

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would think a fog light, they are designed for a lower refraction level. To bright and intense a light can be counter productive when the snow is actually falling.

3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I decided to "borrow" my 3.5 X 7 inch Bosch fog lights off of my Porsche, which I don't use in the winter anyway :D. I'll see what kind of light dispersion they give at night.

The stock Sno-Way lights are adjusted for road travel and shine too high for close-up illumination during driveway plowing. I just want something to light up just in front of the plow, while plowing only. They would be off during road travel.

Thanks, Fran

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would turn off the headlights when you run them to save Amp Hours.

5. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I've been playing with them this afternoon. They shine OK with the headlights off and have a nice beam of light up to about 40 - 50 feet in front.

I'm still trying to find the optimum mounting location. Right now they are under the crossbar and outboard of the Sno-Way headlights. I worry they may get wacked if I'm stacking snow and the plow blade goes to full tilt. I may mount them under the crossbar, but in between the uprights, but they may get knocked out of aim during snow stacking and snow goes up and over the top of the blade. I often fill up the front grill of the Jeep this way :realmad:, causing the radiator to get overly hot. My last choice is on top of the crossbar and in between the headlights. Will let you know what works best.

Fran

6. why not put the aux. lights on their own switch? This way it give you more options for lighting. If you wire them in with you fogs switch, there may be times when you want the fogs and not the aux. lights. Just brainstorming here.

7. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I've been thinking along these same lines. I have the option to use my driving light switch. The driving lights don't come on when the plow lights are connected (only on when Jeep's high beam are activated). One less switch to mount, along with the wiring headaches!!

Fran

8. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

I ended up mounting the lights on the top of the crossbar and I used a separate switch and relay to power them. The 1st shot shows them mounted below the crossbar and outside the uprights. When the plow is angled and all the way up, it gets too close to the lights. The 2nd shot shows them mounted under the crossbar, but between the uprights. The pump cover gets too close when the plow is all the way up. The 3rd shot shows the lights mounted on top of the crossbars, between the Sno-Way headlights (the final configuration). The last shot shows the lights from the driver's seat and of course a cheap shot of the donor car from which the aux (fog) lights came!

I tried taking night shots, but they came out too dark. The aux lights fill in the area from the front of the Jeep out to where the headlights start to shine. They do the job I was hoping for.

Fran

XJ outside lite.jpg

XJ under lite.jpg

XJ top lite.jpg

XJ inside lite.jpg