1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aux Light Install

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Hambrick & Co., Apr 25, 2009.

1. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Does any one know if you can tie in some aux lights to the factory cargo lamps. I am wondering if I can just tap the power from the factory cargo lamp to power the aux lights mounted on the back rack. Mike

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I would not run any lights off of the cargo lamp wires at all. Anything else added to those wires is just going to really overtax the system. I'd run your new lights to a switch in the cab with a relay. It'll work out a lot better for you.

3. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks - I just want to know if it was possible to save my self running the extra wire. Thanks for the info.

4. DeereFarmer

It's well worth it just to run the extra wire. It'll be a lot less of a headache in the end. Good luck!

5. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

I would unwillingly have to disagree with you, Deere Farmer. I have my strobe lights connected to my cargo lamp on both trucks. It makes it much more noticealbe when the "CARGO LAMP ON" light is lit up on the dash, indicating that your strobe is on. Also, it helps at night when backing up. Believe it or not, that cargo lamp casts a lot of light to the rear of the truck increasing visibility. I just tapped into the positive and negative, and then put a 2 pole plug on the end of that connection and on the end of my strobe light. This results in quick and easy removal when you don't need the strobe anymore.

6. DeereFarmer

Huh, I may be wrong. Hopefully more will chime in...

7. te snow

te snow Member

Rack Lighting

I'm not telling you if it's ok or not to tap into the cargo lights but there are some percautions you might want to take first such as adding together the amperage draw from the factory cargo lamp circuit and the amperage draw from the rack lights. If this draw is to much it will blow your cargo lamp fuse. Keep in mind that there may be other items on the same circuit as the cargo lamps that may not be in use at the time you amp it out so be sure to also find out what actually is on the whole circuit and turn it on when doing so.

8. SCSLLC

SCSLLC Junior Member

I have my strobe wired to the cargo light asweel and have never hada problem.I did however pull the cargo lamp bulb.

9. DeereFarmer

Hambrick: Do you have an aux light switch in your truck?

10. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to say what deere just did in the post above...
    If you have plow prep, you have that switch....if I rememeber right the wires are in the trim panel on the driver side then......find them and you have your switch!

11. DeereFarmer

They are either there or above the headliner between the roof panel... I don't remember.