1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aux. Battery Tray 73-80

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rick Loncosky, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Rick Loncosky

Rick Loncosky Senior Member
    from 17557

Has anyone every installed or has this year with the aux battery?? I ordered the components and got a tray that is for the right side. Is this correct? That puts the clamp between the battery & core support, very little room. The two bolt holes in the tray don't align with the support on the fender either. The tray is held down by one bolt, I drilled, painted and under-coated a 2nd hole across from the original hole. Now the tray will be held on by two bolts and the clamp faces the cab for plenty of wrench/socket room. I'd like to hear what else or what ever you's have done. Thanks!!! Rick..

2. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I have the factory dual battery package in my '75. There is a bracket under the tray (more or less U-shaped) with two bolts that connect into the radiator support (or whatever you call the flat metal behind the grill. There are two more bolts that go into the driver's side fender.

The factory package also includes a second wiring junction, which is similar to the main junction mounted on the firewall near the brake booster. All auxiliary items (camper lights, etc.) are supposed to be connected to the aux wire junction and fused separately. There is a relay in the wiring from the alternator to the battery, and it is activated by the ignition. The relay allows the second battery to charge when the engine is on, but disconnects it from the rest of the vehicle when the engine is off. When the engine is off, all auxiliary items can only draw power from the second battery, and cannot drain the main battery.

Bruce

3. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

Can you tell me which side the battery hold down is on for the aux. Towards cab or radiator? Thanks.

4. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

The battery tray has a curved, raised lip on the side toward the radiator support, and a bracket and clamp on the side toward the cab. Its the same orientation and design as the main battery. If you mount a battery in the tray (I don't have one mounted), the positive post would be next to the fender.

I noticed that the aux tray is bolted to the fender on the side, but there is another lip or ledge sticking up on the tray, about two inches out from the fender. This keeps the battery from sliding all the way over toward the fender. I assume this also keeps the positive post from being too close to the fender.

Bruce

5. crete5245

crete5245 Member

I have a 77 frame with a 82 front clip. I bought the extra tray from a local aftermarket body panel wholesaler.. It did put the postive close to the fender and the front core support. But that is what the hold down piece in the bottom of the tray is for... I have never had a problem with the battery hitting the fender or the core support, even after hitting some pretty big curbs.

6. Rick Loncosky

from 17557

I'll have to take a picture this evening to show how the tray is mounted. It doesn't line up with the support holes to the fender. The bolt & clamp would then be facing the radiator. This would leave very little room to work. My original question is: "Is the battery tray the same for both sides?" It doesn't seam like it fits on the aux. side. Then only 1 bolt holds the tray down to the support.

7. crete5245

crete5245 Member

No the trays are different from side to side, they have different part #'s. I had no problem bolting the aux tray up. It lined up with the core support and fender holes plus the one in the inner fender.