1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AUX backup light wiring

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Seabee15, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

I want to install a set of Aux backup lights.

I know i should use a relay setup, but I was wondering if I could just tap in to the stock reverse wiring instead, using no relay, just a inline fuse??

2. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

by the way, its a 87 K30...

3. BoyneCityGuy

BoyneCityGuy Senior Member

does it have a 7 pin trailer plug? if so you can...its what i have currently, they work, just not super bright...a relay will go on mine...i did the same setup on my tractor and its really noticable there...really needs the relay...its a project when i get time

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Stock reverse wiring will not handle the extra load very long.....

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Run a relay. It's well worth it. Just make sure you get a good one and not the junk that they sell at Autozone.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

The lights will also be brighter with a relay. Take the link in my signature for the hitch light to give you ideas.
    T.J.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

with a rely i knoe the 87 goes to the aux lights, 85 is the ground and 30 is the hot wire or the one that is tapped into the reverse lights. my question is do you need to have a fuse between the relay and the stock reverse light wire that you are tapping into?

8. DeereFarmer

Nope, you only need an inline fuse from the hot (battery). From the reverse lights to the relay is just a trigger.

9. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

ok thank you very much

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

alright i had these wired into my trailer controll and they worked fine for a few months and then just stopped...i got a new set of lights and they still didnt work so i tried to tap them into the brake light/ backup light using a relay...i tapped them into the green wire because someone said that was the reverse one but they still dont work. does anyone have suggestions?

11. DeereFarmer

Did you tap them into the reverse light wire behind the light housings? To make sure you have the correct wire you should test with a test light that should light up when you put your truck into reverse.

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You do need a relay and trigger the relay from the center pin on the 7 pin trailer connector to 85 on the relay. Then ground the relay to 86. Then feed the relay to 30 from the charging circut wire on the 7 pin trailer connector (cannot remember the location but hoppy.com will have the diagram). Then feed the aux. lights from 87 on the relay.
    This is how I do my 2002 Superduty with a gas motor.
    T.J.