1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Autozone Tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Dec 15, 2004.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

which tranny

I'm thinking about replacing the th350 tranny in my 79 chevy K10 with a rebuilt one from autozone. The th350's are less than $500 and the th400 is just over $500.

If I were to put a th400 in my truck, what kind of conversions would I have to go through. I believe that my drive shaft is a different (rear not sure about the front) would my transfer case bolt up to this tranny, and is it worth going to a th400?

Thanks I hope I covered what you need to know

PS It has a sb350 in it and I use this truck for plowing.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

What tail shaft you need depends on whether you have a NP203 or NP 205 Tcase too as the both use different inputshafts and spline counts.

3. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

I have an NP203

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I would get a trans from another source. Get a local shop thats reputable build you a 350. Tell em what you plan to do with it, use a good converter, and ask them to put a RV style shift kit in it. Ask em what kind they use and recomend. If they say B&M then RUN AWAY! transgo is the **** :cool: :nod:

5. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

my local tranny shop wants about $750 to rebuild this tranny. I already have a B&M shift kit in it with the RV option. There is actually no problems with the tranny in there now other than the fact that it has 226,000mi on it.

6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

You have a good one then I would wait until there is a problem and rebuilt it when needed as you has one of the better units that left the factory that day. I have seen over 300k on one.

7. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

advance tranny

I bought a rebuilt th400 tranny from advance auto parts for $622. All told it was about $700 after i bought the tax and fluid. So far i have no complaints. The trans was built by accurate transmission (www.accuratetrans.com) it has a 24 month 24k mile warranty. I did have one problem, the torque converter had a wobble and it was about a 1/4 inch off. I called and told them i wanted another one and it was at the store the next day. The tailshaft on your tranny will have 3 lengths measured from the rear on the case to the back of the shaft - 1 1/2", 2 3/8", and 4 1/2". dont measure the splines, i did that the first time and came up with 2 3/8" and had to get the on with 1 1/2. Mine has a 79 th400 tranny and 203 transfer case. I had my original trans rebuilt 3 times and it kept screwing up so i bought the one from advance. With all the money i have in it i could have a B&M truckfighter