1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Automotive News: Toyota is #1

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by doh, Jan 24, 2008.

1. doh

doh Senior Member

GM slipped well behind Toyota Motor Corp. in global sales. GM sold 8,885,599 total vehicles in 2007, while Toyota says it sold an estimated 9,370,000. Toyota will issue an official total in about a month.

It was widely reported this week that the two automakers finished in a dead heat for the No. 1 spot. Here is why: GM includes in its total 516,435 vehicles of the Wuling brand in China.

But GM owns only 34 percent of the Chinese company that produces Wuling vehicles, SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile Co.

Automotive News follows industry practice by including sales of only majority-owned subsidiaries in an automaker's global total. For instance, sales of Mazda Motor Corp. are not included in Ford Motor Co.'s total because Ford owns 33.4 percent of Mazda.
  2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Does this mean we GM fans will now get a discount on parts since GM is no longer No 1?
    How does the Toyota stand up to the rigors of Heavy Duty work such as Plowing? What is the GAWR of the Tundra?
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Toyota restated their numbers and they are still number 2 behind GM.

Regards Mike
  4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Toyota may never replace the 3/4 & 1 ton but there pay load is good for a 1/2 ton and gas mileage is great. IMO the people who are buying 1/2 tons now are soon going to be buying Toyotas for there gas mileage. Ford & Dodge are coming out with new 150/1500 trucks in 2009 - just a way to raise the price and drive guys to Toyota. Just my $.02 If I was going to buy a 1/2 ton I'd look at Toyota
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Its all those camrys and corollas that they sell. I would never buy a GM/Chevy Car. I have owned hondas and toyotas my whole life as a daily driver. Great gas mileage and they are built like tanks, for a car that is....:salute:
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Did anyone catch the article 2-3 weeks back on MSNBC that the Toyota Tundra was being kicked off the Consumers Best Buy list already? It was only put there originally for 'expected quality'.

1. 5.7L camshaft failures
    2. Frame cracking
    3. Tailgate failures (from ramps to load ATVs and mowers, tailgate buckles)

Doesn't look like they're build for plowing with the frame ending at the front suspension... but I'm sure there's a way...
  7. derekbroerse

Built like tanks.... you're joking, right? Around here they all rot out well ahead of the domestics... and long before they quit running--not saying they aren't relieable or efficient (an awful lot of that is due to extreme light weight, one of the reasons they rot so badly).

My one friend's first car was a Honda Civic, says he'll never buy a Honda again after his accident with it--roof crushed in like a tin can he said.

We've always had GM stuff here, dad worked there for almost 42 years. We've never had a lemon yet, but all they get is basic maintenance and regular washings. Lately we only lose them because they get totalled by other people.

Personally, I have no interest in owning an import of any sort. But thats me, and part of that is the loyalty to a) the brand that has served us so well over my lifetime and b) the brand that put the food on our table, roof over our head, etc. I think its disgusting that people complain about declining economy etc. then go buy a Toyota and shop at Walmart. They do it to themselves and blame everyone else.
  8. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

I'd own a toyota tundra..but would I plow with it? probably not but would love it for a daily driver. First off there is a ton a room in them(i'm 6'4" and I am only 17 so i will get taller). Second off i believe that their are some quality parts on them. I said some because it can not be perfect. One thing that really stands out is the paint quality. The paint on handa and toyota's are so much better. My dad bought a "new" impala back in '04 and on the edges of the hood and truck and under the doors, the pait was really thin, thin enough to be able to see the primmer. We detail cars so thats how we noticed it. Gm would not buy it back but they gave him the extended warranty free. We had a honda van and it was unbelieveable how many less stone chips there were on the front end. Their isn't even a comparison their.

I really like toyota's but i do not think it would hold up plowing...personal yes but to plow i'd buy a ford! My .02 here, not trying to start anything.
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

The latest advertisements on TV around here from our local N.E. Toyota dealers show them plowing snow, just a quick shot of trucks going about 50 mph, all you can tell is it's a red plow
  10. derekbroerse

I wouldn't be surpised if a Chevy got a cheaper paint process than other cars, it is meant to be a cheaper car and that price difference has to come from somewhere.

That being said, I had an '06 Impala out for a night in the fall, and was really impressed with the car value-wise. They had a batch of off-lease, one year old cars under 35000kms, choice for $17k Canadian, about half their new price. Loaded with all the goodies. I really enjoyed driving that car and I think they are really hard to beat for the price... even if I had to paint it in a few years. Then again, I also keep my cars touched up and waxed.

Mom's 2000 Buick Lesabre still looks like a brand new car, all original, never even been waxed. Paint quality was/is phenominal. Dad's new Cadillac DTS is even better! They sure beat the pants off my old '94 Crapalier.... even though I guess I can't complain about that, its still original paint and shiney too without a day of maintenance in its life before I got it (albeit starting to rust around the edges now, but its still over 250000kms on original paint)

I guess its possible your dad's impala just got a Monday Morning/Friday Afternoon kind of paintjob?
  11. Elwer Lawn Care

Elwer Lawn Care PlowSite.com Addict

You could say that but when he got the GM rep to come down, they pulled 3 more around, even different colors, and they were the same way :dizzy: but to someone that has no automotive background, they would never know it.
  12. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

the new chevy's may be ugly, but the half ton gets impressive mileage in relation to the power, and everything is mechanically simple. the parts are beefy, but easy to work on when needed. i've owned a toyota, granted it was a tacoma not a tundra, but everything was a PITB to work on. and they're expensive. the domestics are relatively overpriced if you ask me but there's nothing i can do about it. when it comes to compacts i'd still take a tacoma over any other, but full size, nothing but chevy/gmc. hell i'd even drive a ford. not a tundra. ever.
  13. derekbroerse

I'd like to check out the new Tahoe Hybrid... two sources have claimed it gets better fuel mileage than a 5-speed Camry.... :D

Wonder how it plows? :p
  14. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

very well said, thanks:salute:
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Saying Toyota is #1 doesn't mean any more to me than saying Wal-Mart is #1. Wal-Mart is #1 because they sell cheap junk from China, their volume and purchasing power allows them to sell their cheap junk cheaper than anyone else. Does that make it better? No. Does it make them the best? No. It just makes them #1 in sales. Not exactly a perfect comparison, since Toyotas aren't junk (except maybe the new Tundras), but you get my point. Just because somebody sells more of something doesn't make it better. McDonalds sells more than the neighborhood steakhouse, right? And I'm sure Hershey sells more chocolate than Lindt.

Now I want a Lindt chocolate.
  16. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

this might be old news? i think toyota became the #1 auto maker last year? IMO i think they are #1 because they make the best vehicals. have you ever read Consumer Reports magazine? almost every vehical they have ever made is ranked very high. i think it's great that they are considered American made now....i know that some of the profits go back to japan but it's not like GM or Ford has a profit to go anywhere anyway. we own a Toyota RAV and it is a good vehical, don't be mad though we also have a dozen of the "other brands".
  17. derekbroerse

Just because they built a few plants here will never make Toyota an American company.

I think the Consumers Reports were the exact ones I saw kicking the Tundra off their list of Best Buys... Not that I put much faith in those so-called 'professional opinions' since they have been so badly biased since the beginning of time--I'm talking major brand-name books.magazines...

Like one from Lemon-Aid I read a bunch of years back...

Toyota Corrolla--"a Best Buy for you and your family! Highly Recommended!" Then, two paragraphs down it lists their faults... Sudden brake failure, spontaneous combustion due to wiring failures, and a whole host of other items... Ya, sounds like a car I want to ride in AND put "my family" in!!!

Or their take on the Chevy Malibu (Not Recommended)... and the list of its faults... "Cheap, plasticky feel to the interior." THATS IT???? Not recommended because you think the interior feels cheap???

Also Mazda B Series (Highly Recommended) and Ford Ranger (Not recommended, below average). Helllllo, same truck with a different grille!!

My girlfriend bought the book when she needed a new car... I found the book absolutely laughable, and so did she when I started pointing out these things. The author clearly has no credibility at all.

You can look at these reports from people all you want but the buyer still has to be the one to make a decision. Not all reports say that the Japanese stuff is superior, have a look at the JD Power reports. American vehicle lead pretty much every catagory.

When I need a vehicle, I will go out and shop around because I am familiar with most cars and don't need the help of these self appointed experts. To people who do, best read ALL of them because the opinions differ so much. And take a few test drives.

I'm not saying Toyotas are bad, I'm saying that blanketly calling them "The Best" is ridiculous.

My friends wife had a CRV and did nothing but complain about what a piece of crap it was while she had it, then after they sold it for some reason it became 'the best car out there'...:rolleyes: Guess she forgot about the constant warning lights, other lights not working, engine rocking around like its mounts were broken and slapping things... just an example of how brainwashed people are...

Bah. I hate this subject. Who brought it up again?
  18. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I did not mean that they are a tank, but they are a great car. Run Forever. I will put a honda or toyota up against any domestic car and see which one wears butter and runs longer in the long run.. You are just one of those GM hard core guys that wont drive anything else becausethere father worked for GM for 42 years. And the part about our declining economy is not due to buying overseas. the honda I just bought was made in the USA, built by Americans. Yes Americans and the reason the US economy is so bad is because of predatory lending. They suck americans into getting all this credit and then the person has to declare bankruptcy and foreclose on there house and then everything goes to hell. I love my chevy trucks and I stand by them, but i will always buy a foreign daily driver. My gf just bought a New Nissan Altima. Great car and excellent gas mileage. Will last forever. :)
  19. derekbroerse

I wouldn't call myself hardcore, I just know a good thing when I see it, and continue to buy what I know works. Why change a good thing?

'86 S15, I parked it with 470000kms because the slave cylinder died and the replacement's bleeder wouldn't clear the exhaust, and by then rust in the floor, rockers, and cab mounts were getting pretty bad.

'85 Buick Park Avenue, dad bought new in the fall of '84. We drove it 185000kms by 1990, when it was sold to dad's cousin. Still looked like new. She drove it up to a total of over 500000kms (second engine, third tranny) before she bought a new car, she loved it that much. Was starting to rust around the edges pretty badly. Car was scrapped about 4 years ago.

'90 Buick Park Avenue, bought 'miled out' from the GM pool cars to replace the '85 in the fall of '90. I learned to drive in this car, and I drove this car to college every day. Car went 300000kms on its original engine, tranny, exhaust, and yes even BRAKE ROTORS and drums when it was hit from behind by a 4x4 Suburban and totalled in 2000. Car was still spotlessly rust free... painted once because the clearcoat on top was peeling badly and some 15 year old kid decided to get a pizza and backed into the side of it. I remember doing a harmonic balancer, a frost plug, starter (cuz the leaking frost plug dripped coolant inside) and alternator.

'88 Chev 2500 2wd, 350/5 speed. Bought used in '96 with 65000kms, taken off road 2-3 years ago with somewhere in the neighbourhood of 750000kms (don't know exactly after the odometer finally died but that was based on an average # of kms per year in its history). Truck was worked hard from 96 til its replacement... towing trailers loaded with tractors, farm machinery and supplies. Got ONE rebuilt engine (by me), ONE paint and body job (also by me), and a handful of starters from all the stop and go work. Other minor odds and ends over time. Alot of brake parts from all the heavy towing.

Do I need to continue? I would put any one of these up against a ricemobile anyday....

Oh, my worst vehicle? My current runabout, a '94 Cavalier (disposable car). Car was free, so I fixed it and drove it. Its got 255000kms now, the past 32000 by me. Starting to become a nickel and dime car. Needs tires, brakes, and a few minor odds and ends... but its becoming more than the car is worth so I'm probably only going to do minimum work and ditch it in the spring.

And the profits from a Honda, whether its built there or here, go back to Japan. Period. It always was and always will be an import, no matter how they try and pull the wool. Sure its great that they are employing some Americans. Would also be nice if the Japanese would play fair and ALLOW other countries manufacturers to sell over there.
  20. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Burkhartsplow, I don't agree about Honda's and Toyota's lasting longer. I have a 95 3.0L Mercury Sable with 265,000 miles on it. Besides maintenance like oil changes (sometimes I'm a 1000 to 1500 miles over), flushing the coolant, rotating the tires, and occasionally the transmission fluid and filter the only things it has ever needed to have replaced were batteries (every 4 years on average), 4 sets of tires, an occasional headlight or bulb, wiper blades, 2 sets of front brake pads (original rotors), 1 set of rear pads, and 1 windshield(from hail damage). Can you find me a Toyota or Honda that compares to that? Probably not, because they've probably had 2 or 3 more sets of brake pads and they probably don't wear the tires as well. Oh yeah, the best part about it is that the car was rated poorly by the "magic" authority on cars.