1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

automatics?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by finnegan, Oct 11, 2000.

1. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

I know I'm gonna open a can of worms with this one,but whats better automatic or standard transmissions?

2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Having driven vehicles with both types of Transmissions over the years, I would say that an automatic on a truck that has been setup for plowing has to be the way to go.

Those clutches wreak havoc on old knees!!!!

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

And plowing wreaks havoc on clutches!

~Chuck

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

No can of worms here auto is the way to go,most I think will agree.But hey if a stick is what you got that will work, not near a relexing.But most who have been plowing very long have done it,and thats why we say autos the way to go.

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I would guess that if you are the one driving the truck, then a clutch might not be too bad (except for the knees and the thigh muscle that ends up being the size of your chest). If you "own" it, and drive it, you'll probably not abuse the clutch. I had a standard the first 9 years of plowing, and didn't burn a clutch out once.

However, if you're going to put an employee in that standard tranny truck - plan on a clutch a year. That had been our experience, and now we only purchase automatics for employees who plow.

Additionally, let's face it. Going in reverse is a large part of the plowing operation of any vehicle (other than road plowing). So, I am of the opinion that you cannot back up anywhere near as fast with a standard as you can with an automatic - however, some guys will argue with you on that point.

6. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Automatic all the way! Good thing about a manual is though, that they only go out right in the middle of a snowstorm and the part won't be available for 2 days and the shop is backed up for 2 weeks. John: Does the video show you how to plow in reverse? Maybe an advanced subject for the next video.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Auto all the way, if the truck is going to plow. The F 650 that plowed last year and it was an auto. My driver an older guy and said big truck needs a stick, I said try it. He tried it and liked it, he thought you would need a standard to shift through the gears (which can be done on auto, anyway).

Granted my L9000s are all sticks, but then again they don't plow.

Geoff

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes Auto is they way to go,but if your doing highways stick would be fine.I prefer auto when i plow when I plowed for the town i had the clean up job small roads intersections and after all that plow the roads and if i had a stick my leg would be dead.

9. John Allin

No Storm, it's not in the video. But it IS an advanced technique. Ya see, you gotta turn around in the seat, put your butt up on the steering wheel, snake one leg down to the pedals, grab onto the sliding window in the rear of the cab, and just wiggle back and forth to steer. You "see" by the reflection in the rear slider.

It's an art. Little uncomfortable, but only the REALLY experienced guys can do it. I'm still working on it myself.

Although I hear it's easier in an L-9000. Besides, in an L-9000 you don't know (or care) if you hit anything because you can't feel it.

10. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Hmmmmm.

How about a rear mounted pusher box. We all know it won't work on the front, because of the loss of steering control. On the rear, the springs are stiffer, the wheels don't turn, the weight would be off the "front" so steering could work.... AND that low reverse gear could be put to real use..... My first thought was to mount a bucket on the rear for stacking..... With the front wheels in the rear, it could manuever better, much like small fork lifts. The rear can take more weight....
    ahhh, nevermind.

~Chuck
    (See? Meaningless garble, now if I vented my head using the BRL method, all of this may have been clearer!)

11. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

Automatic, I think is the only way to go now. My drivers are good but I would not trust them to be easy on a standard while plowing. We only have one truck our large F-800 that is standard and I wished that was automatic.

12. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

John I would ass ume that a truck with out an air bag is important,it would suck(rear window that is) to get hit while in the middle of this process.

13. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Dig,

Then again, if it had one, you could add a second switch. Then you could get out to check your spreader faster!

~Chuck

14. Snow Pro

Snow Pro Senior Member

Chuck -

What's BRL?

15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

BRL is a poster here on the forum.
    BRL is short for Big River Landscaping.
    Look at the "PLEASE READ" thread.

~Chuck

16. John Allin

An air bag enema.....

Hmmmmmm..............

17. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Hey John. . . along w/ my merchendising ideas in the other thread; the SIMA enema airbags could have your picture on them . . .

18. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Chuck,
    BRL really stands for beer. Brewery Raised Liquid.

Speaking of air bags, Its probably not a good idea to buy a truck with air bags to plow with, correct? The nature of this business would probably cause it to shoot out often right? Also, what about antilock brakes? I got a truck with those & the first time I plowed with it it was quite annoying. I was trying to slide into the end of the runs & needed to slow it down a little, but instead of the truck slowing, it STOPPED. So with that truck I pull the ABS fuse out while plowing. When I'm ready to shop for new trucks, can I get them with out ABS or do they all come with it now? Thanks

19. John Allin

The nature of how air bags work should not allow them to deploy while plowing, even when hitting a snow pile. Their are sensors around the truck that have to "fail" in order for the bags to deploy. One is in the very front nose of the truck, and you would have to crunch the plow frame into the truck to deploy the bags. Additionally, the bags shouldn't deploy until two or more sensors "fail".

I don't know squat about ABS systems (Storm... leave it alone.... I can already hear the wheels grinding in your head).

20. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Brl I can see where having your truck just be able to just stop in the snow would be irritating,but what keeps you from sliding into the hinney of a car at a stop light.Maybe you could put a toggle switch in the fuse blank so ABS could be turned off and on at your whim