1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Automatic vs. Manual?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow Master, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Snow Master

Snow Master Junior Member

Was considering buying a manual 1 ton chevy pickup, (no dually). I have only used automatics in the past. I'll have quite a few accounts to plow and i don't want to be stuck with a transmission that i'm not going to like. Views and opinions would be appreciated.

2. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I would NEVER IN MY LIFE plow snow with a Manual Transmission. NEVER EVER. Plowing is strenuous enough. The last thing I need is a hurting knee and shoulder from shifting like a mad man all night long, 5000 times.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I dont think a plow truck is where to learn to drive a manual. You had better stick with a automatic. You will most likely HATE the manual and burn out clutches.

I could be wrong BUT if you haven't learned to drive a manual by this time. you probably wont like it.

4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

There is no reason to torture yourself...

go with an automatic, it is a no brainer.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

But me.. ive plowed with autos and manuals I hate the auto. I have no problem with the 5 SP. Shifting forward to revers or revers to forward is the same (number of times) weather in an auto or manual sooooo why the shoulder problem? I can see the clutch and knee thats a new actionfor the left leg. You still have to move a shift lever from forwoard to revers wether an auto or manual. I found holding my arm up to use the colom shifter is pianfull after a while but a floor shifter is cumfy. I've had a torn rotator cuff for years and plowed with a manual just fine (I had the surgery to fix it in May. What a PIA to recover from)

JMO

6. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Are you stay in 1 or 2 gears drive? Sound you shift 1,2,3,4 gears.

You clear this in tight area like park lot or somewhere.

For me I do like manual transmission with 4.9L why get more torque but auto transmission would be overheat faster with 4.9L so it work better with V8 engine.

You better find auto transmission in truck if you never drove with manual transmission then you burn clutch quick.

7. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

i love having a standard vehicle but when it comes to plowing i dont want to worry about shifting. buy a automatic , your going to be very happy, just add a trans cooler and the auto will be your saving grace.

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

OK Mil...you need to READ before you type.....Gicon SAID he is plowing with an AUTO.....never heard of a 1,2,3,4 speed auto that you shift...:dizzy:

the 4.9 has the same torque with either the auto or manual.....it is how the power is put to the ground....:dizzy:

I definately recommend the A/T.....alot easier to use and easier when there is so much going on in the truck while you are watching for what is outside the truck....JMO

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Automatic Hands Down!!! .....sticks are for the ladies to play with!:D :drinkup:

10. Milwaukee

Ok I reread but what he say was not clear to me so my mistake

But honest manual transmission for me. Have you try drive in busy traffic. I worn out clutch pedal's bushing 2 times in 25,000 miles but clutch still work good.

how to avoid pain in knee is stop shift just leave in 2 gear and drive when plow it. That what I would try. I let you know when I use 89 F150 with 5 speed with plow.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Mil, the soreness I was referring to was in reference to shifting Commercial Trucks with Manual Transmissions. I have never owned a manual Pick up.....Just saying, I never would. Welcome to the PlowSite. Its a pleasure to have you on today ;-)

12. Milwaukee

Oh so that mean it have 9 speed that why you get tired.

How many speed on that truck? 9 or 10

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

8ll. 0

14. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

8 Forward speeds with a Double Low.

15. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

All our trucks are auto but my dually. Just added a plow to it last year when it crossed over 200,000 miles. Didn't think it would be much fun, but found out it wasn't too bad. However, I was not doing banks, driveways, or many small lots either. In large commercial lots it is fine. Only problem I had was when I jumped in one of the other trucks on occasion and kept reaching for the gear shifter, and stomping the floorboard with my left foot! lol

Creative Designs- You must have never owned a CTD with an auto trans. I have had two, and bought one transmission which was replaced under warranty twice. I was the only driver and I am not hard on them. Got 187,000 out of my clutch on my current truck before replacement, so the trannys weren't abused if it gives you an idea. Chrysler auto trans equals early replacement in my experience.

16. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

no brainer here. i agree with a auto to plow.
    i agree with a auto as a daily driver too.
    standard is fun to drive but the fun wheres off.

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

we need snow.... soon....

I'm agreeing with Bribri way to often lately...

18. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

when i trade my PSD with a 6sp for my PSD with the auto it took me 2 years to keep from looking for the clutch

19. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Manuals are for sports cars! Fun for play, SUCK for work.

20. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

I've used a manual sm465 in my 1/2 Chevy with a Gutless 305 v8 for about 12 driveways. I"m in the truck between 3-6 hours depends on the snow.

It's actually kinda interesting if not border line fun for a short period.

You have your right hand on the Shifter
    Left hand on the plow controls
    Right foot on the gas
    Left foot on the clutch.

You also have to try to steer and brake somewhere in there. It's kinda balancing act to jugle the steering wheel, plow controls, and shifter with your hands while braking, clutching and stepping on the gas. For the few hours I use the truck I didn't mind it. It definaitly strains the left leg a little.