1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

automatic transmissions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Aug 12, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

besides the obvious convienance of an automatic transmission, wut are some of the mechanical advantages? wut do u guys prefer-thanks
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

shifting all day 12 18 hrs no way burn out clucthes no way heavy duty auto any way
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

might want to edit your signature, and read the rules
  4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Nate you lost me with your response:confused:
    To answer the question the biggest difference between an auto and a standard is gearing, most auto's have a higher gear ratio in reverse then a standard ( usually the same or lower them 1st).
    So paticularly if your doing commerical lots an auto is faster. With todays hydraulic clutches pushing on the far left pedal doesn't result in you walking in a right hand circle after getting out of the truck!:D Actually I think a standard is a little more bullet proof then an auto, and requires less service then a auto the auto trans fluid in a plow truck should be changed at least at the beginning of each season and for longest life before and after each winter, a driver with poor plowing habits, shifting before coming to a complete stop, or simply pushing heavy loads without keeping an eye on the trans temp if you have a gauge or warning light can destroy an auto in a day's plowing. If your doing mostly driveways, a modern standard will work just fine.

5. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have an auto in my 1 Ton SRW with the 7.3L Powerstroke and that does me just fine, I usully plow some side roads for the town when needed and that doesn't seem to bother it at all. I would take an auto over a manual any day.
  6. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I'd have to stay right on the top of the fence on this one. I've driven both, and both are good, and both are bad. Grant it, the manual can wear out your leg if your not used to driving or plowing with it. But, I have to flush out my auto trans every year. My manuals? Once every other year, or maybe three years. And that is over cautious. My one driver preferred manuals because he would plow up to the curb, slowly bounce backward off the curb while putting into reverse and raising the blade as he was backing up. Not only did it make for great efficiency, but the higher rpms of the engine reversing as he was raising the blade kept the battery charged. It was an 86 bronco, with a new 60A alternator and 1(yes one) big battery. Never had a problem with power....
  7. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

have 5 auto trucks 1993 chevy auto with 180,000 mi on transmission w/amsoil syn tech oil truck tows 6,000 lbs of mowers all summer pushes with 8.5 meyer all winter