1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

automatic tire chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bulldozer, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Member

I was thinking about the Onspot tire chains that towns use and was wondering if anyone has put them on their one tons.
  2. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I've got them on my F-550, and they really help in ice and shallow snow, but my real problem is the tires themselves.

Be careful with what else you use the truck for: I bent one with a pop-up boulder while taking a load of deer fencing up the side of a mountain an old charcoal road last April, and then I knocked the other one out of whack in the last big storm when a chunk of ice came up and hit it.
  3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There is a guy here who owns a heavy truck repair shop and he has them mounted on his F350 SRW. I think it was kind of a demo but he does use them.

JRKRACE Senior Member

We have them on all of our fire trucks and they do help with traction, especially on the lighter rigs. The biggest problem we have is when drivers lift them up while the truck is standing still. A lot of things getr bent up that way....
  5. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

The guys at Kovatch (KME) installed and take care of mine. They do great work ~ I'm lucky to have them just up the road from me.
  6. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Kovatch is a distant cousin of mine. Say hello for me. Use to meet them at funerals but that whole generation has finally died off. Bought a few trucks from them but being a distant relative didn't save me anything.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How do they work for stopping? Once you lockup a wheel it wont spin the chain under the tire.

JRKRACE Senior Member

They're really more for traction than for stopping. They do help a little bit though...
  9. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Where the Picture of them ????
  10. rebelplow

rebelplow Senior Member

11. dan67

dan67 Member

That is a real common item around here, I even saw them on the snap on tool truck the other day. There on most of the school buses.
  12. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

I would really like to put them on our F750 but concerned with the durability of them when using the truck for construction purposes and going to the dump.