1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by madadam, Feb 12, 2005.

1. madadam

madadam Junior Member

Hey guys, I am curious what you guys are running and whats working best for you. I'm looking at a new truck its automatic Im concerned about having to replace a transmission every season. Should I have an transmission cooler added? My buddy told me manual works nice and the repair costs are miniumual. Any input will help Thanks
  2. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

Hi adam i have three dodge diesel trucks all with at for several years and i plow over 30 commercial lots and i have never had to replace a trany but i also had a ATS valve body put in all three works like a dream.
  3. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

all automatics up here, we definitly have coolers on all the trucks, never had a problem. f350's for us. can't imagine plowing with a manual?!!
  4. all seasons

all seasons Member

we have both,even though you wont hear me complain about the standard,when it comes time to go to work since i am the boss,ill always go to the auto and stick my helper with the stick.but really if you do the simple things,trans cooler,regular service,don't plow like an animal and run into stuff,never plow in overdrive,and don't shift while still in motion you should be just fine.remember also anything mechanical will fail,you can only take precautions to make them last as long as possible.
  5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

All of our plow vehicles are automatic. Between the plow controls and the cell phones, (Note all of our vehicles have hands free cradles), my people have enough to do. We have a mid 80s Toyota with a 5 spd as a back up, but no one wants to drive a stick. If you like driving a stick and are careful with a clutch, it should not be a problem. The life of the transmission depends on the driver primarily and secondarily on maintenance.
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Do a search on this topic, it gets discussed on here pretty much weekly.

Lots of varying opinions.
  7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you cant be worried about blowing a trans every year gotta go easy with them have coolers on them and change the fluid after every season ever drive around with a 5spd or a 6spd all night not fun
  8. madadam

madadam Junior Member

To everyone

Thank You all for the information I have to admit stick is a pain I do use low ranrge, takes for ever to backup. I see most of you do run trans coolers and I most of you do let the truck idel for at least 15-20min before shutting those diesels down helps.

Thanks Again,
  9. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

It is a good idea if you're running a auto to install a tranny cooler or a larger than stock one, and also a temp gauge. The more you know what is going on with it the better.