1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Automatic Locking Hubs?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Fordistough, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Hi everbuddy, Does anyone know if Ford made an automatic locking hub prior to 1988?

-Thann

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

my 86 bronco had them blew apart plowing first storm . replaced them with manual
    hubs

JOHN

3. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

my 97 ranger had em, and they sucked....they wouldnt unlock....i changed them to manuals

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Always replace them with manuals. Auto's die quickly with plow duty!

5. Goose2169

Goose2169 Junior Member

save yourself alot of time and aggrevation and put manuals on it!

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

I'm pretty sure that they had them avaulable in the late 70's.

FWIW I had a set on a 97 F-350 4x4 DRW that I used to have and never had any problems with them that I didn't on another identical truck with manual hubs. Both trucks had 7.3's pushed 9ft. blades and sported 2.5 yd sanders.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

auto hubs

auto hubs are great but you HAVE to take care of them. At least once a month use them.

8. Fordistough

from USA

Thank you all for your replies, but that was not the question. I would never hang a plow on auto hubs, I just wanted to see if they made them for the Ford. I have all manual hub trucks, and I have been plowing enough to know to keep plowing with mans. I have an '87 Ford E-350 w/ a 4x4 conversion and it has manual hubs. I wanted to know if Ford made these hubs. The axle is a solid axle and is made by Chevy, the year before they went to the independant axles. Thank you anyways.

9. MickiRig1

I think 3/4's of the hubs made in the world are WARN. I would bet you can get warn hubs for anything sold in this country that has 4x4. A good 4x4 shop should be able to help you out. Some of the Motor's and other pro repair manuals have pictures of axles to help you identify the front axle. Even summitracing.com has hubs and kits.

10. Fordistough

from USA

I agree Micki, I have put Warn Hubs in almost every one of my 4X4s. The ones that come factory just blow apart all the time. I would get Warn hubs if I were you.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2006
  11. FCLCinMaine

FCLCinMaine Member
    from Maine

I have a 2005 F-350, So you guys are saying i should take it out of auto and turn it to lock when i plow??

12. MickiRig1

Yeah, because the hubs ratchet when you change directions or at least the old style did. This wears them out quick. Just one hub goes and 4x4 is belly up.
    Plus you would have a positive lock the whole time less chance for failures.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The auto hub's on the 99-up Super duty's arn't like the old mechanical style auto hubs that disengaged when changing direction from forward to reverse.They use a vacuum pulse system that engages the hubs and keeps them engaged anytime the switch is in a 4WD position, so it's OK to plow with them in the "auto" position as far as durability goes. Now, as far as reliability goes sometime's in extreme cold conditions they sometimes won't "lock" when you flip the switch to 4X4 due to leaking O-rings/vacuum line's and extreme cold seems to aggravate the problem. The nice thing about them having a true "manual lock" position is that if they don't lock automatically you can just hop out of the truck and turn them to the manual position. It's kinda like having a back up system.

14. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Been There and Done That!

I replaced the vacuum seals on my Excursion twice! That was enough for me!, just put a set of Warn premium fully manual locking hubs, easiest diy I've ever done!

15. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I called one day for the seal rebuild kit, it came to like $120.

I called again to actually order it and they look at me like I got 10 heads, anyone know the part numbers for the 2 o-rings and the bearing in the auto hubs?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1`Here's the ford part no.'s: Hub O-ring: F81Z-4A322-AA Large axle seal: F81Z-3254-CB Small axle (dust) seal: F81Z-1S175-HCA

17. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

the dealer at the time told me there was also a bearing in there?

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's a couple of thrust washer's but no actual "bearing" unless he meant the wheel bearing itself.

19. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

damm bastards, I like the auto hubs, I like to be able to just flip the switch in the truck when driving from site to site without having the front wheels feel like they want to rip themselves apart in tight turns like when you have your hubs locked.

They acted up once before, I took them out and cleaned them, but I want to put the new o-rings in there.

So I should just need the parts you listed?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,that should be all the parts you need to do the job.