1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Automatic hubs on a 1997 F250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bsmitty, May 10, 2011.

1. bsmitty

bsmitty Member
    from Chicago

Looking for some help. I am looking at a 1997 F250 4X4. It has automatic hubs for the four wheel drive. I know nothing about these. Are these ok or are the manual hubs better. The truck only has 36,000 original miles on it. It is for a good price also. Any info would be great.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

The manuals are stronger, pretty easy to swap out. 36K? Only driven to church on snowy Sundays?
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

If you are going to use it for a plow truck install the manual Warns's.The auto's ratchet every time you change direction. Think about how many times you do that plowing. They may wear out 1/2 way thru a season.
  4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Look it over VERY carefully. A lot of times parking a vehicle for an extended period of time is worse for it than driving many miles. Seals dry up, lines and panels start to rot, tires dry rot and crack, etc. Take it for a good drive. Let it warm up good and listen to the motor and feel the transmission. If it doesnt sound or feel as it should, you may be better to leave it alone. I know several vehicles that were low miles and in excelent condition when parked, but when put back on the road months or years later, it was a constant battle of replacing parts and trying to get them to run the way they should again. Just a little food for thought. If you can get it cheap though, may be worth it. Good luck!
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My Wife's Grandma lived in Tampa Florida. We moved her and the 8 year old K-Car she owned back to Ohio. It had 28,000 on it. Never had anything done to it. I started off with a full tune up, filter changes,all the fluids and check the brakes. It ended up being the family livery vehicle. Who ever needed a vehicle, drove it. I was forever chasing leaks, noises and dysfunctions. Some one traded it in on a new car a year later!
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

1997 was a transition year for the F250. the heavy duty version was the 92-96 body style, and that model should have manual hubs from the factory. the light duty version was the newer body style and i don't know what hubs were offered, but being you say it has auto hubs, i'd venture to guess you're looking at the light duty version.

manual hubs are stronger and a lot less prone to malfunction. you can always swap from an auto setup to a manual setup. i'm sure Warn makes a kit.