1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto vs. Manual

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 90plow, Mar 7, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I know this has been a big disscusion and there are some out ther who prefer the eaasier to use auto and there are so who like the power of the manual trans. Why havent auto makers made a system like the fourwheelers have an auto clutch manual tranny. I know that Porche and some others have the slap stick auto trannies but i'm talking about one that doesnt shift for you if you don't you have control of everything but there is no clutch to ruin or press down a million times when you are plowing. WHy haven't ford GM or dodge tried a setup like this that would be available on the trucks you plow with? I think this would be a perfect setup on a truck unless it owuldn't work but what do you guys think?
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I know what your talking about and it would be really nice to have in a truck. Yeah thay have them in Porch and I think Jaguars. I'd really hate to be paying thoes prices for a truck just for that option. Eventually with time and advancements making it cost effective thay will concider it an option.
  3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I think an even better option would be a shuttle type transmission like is found on many modern tractors. You could preselect a gear and have forward and reverse in that gear. There would be a forward/reverse selector under your signal lever, no clutch, right hand available to run the plow. What could be more efficient?

When my eyes are glazed over late in the run, I often try to catch reverse with my signal lever.:D
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Never did the signal lever, even when plowing for almost a week non stop -6hrs sleep.
    But numerous times I backed into the road & traffic, put it in "D" and wonderd why the engine was reving but truck wasnt moving. Freeking out thinking I blew the tranny. Rubing my eyes then taking a look back at the gauge relizing I was only in Netural.
    Or of cource the times when I'm in 2wd on dry pavment pull into the lot drop the plow and wonder why tires are spinning and I'm not going anywhere. Duh... 4wd would help...
  5. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

One of my friends who is into "wheelin" had an '80 GMC 3/4 ton (automatic) he plowed with, he put a B&M Quicksilver ratchet shifter in it. Similar to those "slapstick" units you mention, whichever gear it was in, it stayed there until you shifted it.
  6. skyphoto

skyphoto Member

I know I'am old fashioned but I just wouldn't give up my auto for anything! The auto gives ya great power....just a tiny bit slower response, but this is good when your talking slick conditions ....less apt to break the wheels loose or tear up something.....Maybe I'am wrong but cant ya do the same thing as a slap shifter by selecting the gears manualy with the shifter knob? Someone help me out here???? I'am sure that I just dont understand how these work.:)

7. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I was taking about a trans that could be shifted for plowing but also for towing or going down hill to downshift and no one makes trucks that have the slapstick and the cars shift for you if you dont shift
  8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy Member

i agree, and like the idea. both slapstick, and the tractor version. this is off topic, but personally, i miss the old full time 4WD on the dodge powerwagons/snocommander. you rarely had to even lock into 4WD. i wonder why they stopped making them like that.