1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto verse stick

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KDMAINT, Jan 25, 2005.

1. KDMAINT

KDMAINT Junior Member

Iam looking to buy a large dump truck 5 ton and was wounder what other poeples views were on stick or auto, I plow right know with an auto and have plowed with a stick to I have also ran 5 tons part time for light plow work but mostly salt work and they were autos and always seemed slugish local plowing contractor has a fee thier all autos but he has problem finding good help and thier easier to drive what are everone elses thoughts

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Auto = easier to drive, easier on other driveline components, easier on the operator, when it goes it is usually full rebuild but properly maintained (coolers and fluid change) very reliable

Manual = weak link is the clutch, cheaper to replace the clutch in a stick than to R+R the auto, requires more coordination (better operator), more power to the rear wheels

If I were buying a medium duty truck primarily for snow removal and to be driven by some hired guns I would lean towards the automatic. If I were buying a dump truck to haul gravel and occasionally plow with a good operator I would go with the stick.

3. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Hands down....no contest... Auto trans if easier,,,,not better, due to the power loss etc. I have run both and if you can get the AT and take care of it...then it will take care of you.

I dont miss those days of the "Aching" left leg from all the clutch work. It was not so bad if all I had to plow were streets.

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

JMO but salting and plowing in a manual is a PITA. If it were hauling stuff or OTR a manual is great but for snow removal and salting auto hands down.

5. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

In 24 years of driving I've had two automatics in my driveway. Both rentals! I like the manual transmission be it on the highway, in the city, in the country or when I'm pushing snow. In my opinion I have much more control over the power of the engine with the standard. I've never had a problem when plowing, when you are not using the clutch, keep that left foot on the floor rather then hovering over the left peddle, no discomfort at all here.

6. ratlover

from IL

Gota remeber shifting a big truck aint like shifting a vette ;)

Diferent strokes for differnt folks though, makes the world go round :)

7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

You are right on there Ratlover. In my Vette its L-82 and a T-10. In my plow truck its auto all the way. Always use the right tool for the job.

8. racsan

racsan Junior Member

im a std shift fan all the way but when it comes time to do plow work, the auto is the way to go. didnt think id feel this way 'till i used a old '77 F250 to plow with one winter. 400/C-6/4.10s 'git r done!

9. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

My belief on the subject is it in all in the eyes of the beholder. I never had much faith in auto trannies. Especially today's overdrive units. Unfortunately today's manual trannies have fell by the wayside. Aluminum cases just donot cut it.

Give me a SM435/420 coupled to a New Process205 case and lock-out hubs. Not to mention a mechanical linkage clutch.

10. ratlover

from IL

even the newer pick up trucks shift pretty easy but big truck tranys aint like shifting a regular car(hence the vette comment).