1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto trany slliping from 1 to 2

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I have 1993 dodge 150 4x4. I can feel it slip a little as it shifts from 1 to 2. I had a buddy of mine look at it that is very good with that stuff and he said that it would be fine for a now (not to bad). I am new to plowing, with my trany slipping should i plow in D,1,2, / 4h or 4l ? I have no clue. The fate of my truck lies in your hands. :salute:

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Not to good but it may last for a bit. Change fluid and filter in tranny if you have not already done so and install a aux tranny cooler to and plow in lower range and take it a bit easy transporting (do not crowd it on 1st to 2nd shift) and you may get by for a while.

3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

If it was my truck, I would have the trans rebuilt now. Why wait for it to leave you stranded on the side of the road?

4. Tarkus

I had a old torqueflite that shifted a bit funny going into 2nd in the 70's in a car and I drove it a few years and sold it. This kind of failure is slow if you watch it and keep fluid cool because if fluid is allowed to get too hot it will die a lot quicker. Sometimes a fluid and filter change helps a lot...

5. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks so far

should i plow in D,1,2, / 4h or 4l ? I still have no clue?

Also I have 2 gas stations, one restaurant, and about 20 drives ( not big) if it was your truck, do your rebuild the trany now or suck every bit of life out of it. (I only have one truck with a plow)

6. Tarkus

Leave selector in drive and use low range would be my suggestion

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

on your trans stay outa OD and plow in hi range unless you are running into very heavy snow. Try to plow with as much groundspeed as the conditions allow. Putting along and bulldozing snow isnt the best on a trans. Dont go faster than conditions allow though and go slower if you are unsure and unsure of conditions.If you have a slip between gears it may last a bit under normal ciriumstances but if your plowing it will nuke stuff quickly IMO. lotsa lag in the 1-2 shift is going to build heat fast and really abuse the clutches and bands. If I had a truck that was sliping the 1-2 shift durring a storm and I had to plow I would plow in low range and get it fixed after the storm if it lasted that long. I wouldnt go into the season with a trans on the way out though. Especially since its your only rig

Get it rebuilt and pick a good shop. If it were me and I was going to keep the truck awhile I would ask them to put a mild shift kit in it and ask them what brand they use. If they say B&M run, dont walk away from them. Use a transgo shift kit. Steve and the rest of the boys at transgo are probably the smartest bunch of trans guys there are out there.

8. Vaughn Schultz

Thank you

Thanks guys, you are a great help. If any one has any other suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

9. Tarkus

Not very wise advise I think. Extra speed is inviting trouble on unknown ground and also with someone new to this too and furthermore high range adds extra strain and heat on a weakened or questionable tranny. Do this and you will likely shorten its life more. Use low range by all means and take your time while you are learning and use "drive" selection and do add a aux cooler and change fluid and filter too. Good Luck.

10. Vaughn Schultz

What would the cost of the rebuilt trans run me ? any idea ?

11. Tarkus

Depends on where you go and the last place you want to go is a dealer. Ask around but I would not panic yet. I would think the 1000 to 1500 dollar range but I have never had to have one rebuilt myself. Service like I said and when it starts to slip in drive or first, the end is lot nearer.

12. Vaughn Schultz

Thanks Tarkus

Thanks bud you have helped me out allot. I am going to look into rebuilding the trany now rather than have i die on me in the middle of are first plowing this year. It's an older truck and it's had a hard life.

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

The idea is to go as fast as conditions allow. Traffic, condition of the lot or drive, how wide open, obstructions, speed bumps manholes ect. If you have never plowed the place before or seen it without 6" of snow you need to back off the speed considerably. Also if you arnt comfortable in your truck then slow down and you should be 100% in controll of your vehical, just like regular driving. You should be able to make any kinda manuvers necissary, if you cant you need to slow down. Ballast will help you keep controll of your vehical but you need to be able to stop or swerve or regain controll if you go out of controll(or have your truck naturaly come to a stop) before you hit something. If your trans is about to go agreed that low will probably help it live longer and maybe make it through a storm. The wise thing is to get it fixed before he plows witch it sounds like he is doing.

I think we agree with each other we just are missunderstanding :cool:

14. Vaughn Schultz

Ratlover you got one sweet truck. Looks pretty new. I think I am going to buy a F250 or F350 next year And put a light bar like You have on it. Tell me how you like it. Dose it bother you as you drive?

15. Tarkus

I just preach caution and going slow and easy with someone learning the ropes....
    :drinkup: