1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Transmission Fluid for pump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GLS, Dec 26, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS Senior Member

Is it ok to use automatic transmission fluid in the pump?

I just bought a truck/plow from a guy and he says he just uses regular ATF. He has been doing it to a western pump for 7 years and it seems to be fine.

I have heard that the name brand fluids from western, boss...just stands up to cold weather.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I tried atf in my myer pump and it seemed to operate slower.The hydralic fliud made for snow plows contains alcohol or de icer i believe which keeps it from freezing up.I drained my out and refilled it with Myer pump oil.

3. firefighter

firefighter Member
    from Ohio

Auto fluid

When I had a meyers plow I used ford tranny fluid in it. For over 30 years. The fluid never iced up and cyl always moved swiftly. I now run a 8'2 boss.

Firefighter:eek:

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

It's fine. Use a decent quality tranny fluid not the $.79 special.
    Just like how you put decent oil into the truck.

5. rec067

rec067 Member

I have been using amsoil syn atf for years. I my myers and now in my boss, no troubles. I feel the syn withstands the cold temp as good as the brand name fluids. Just my 2 cents worth

6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Better. The Amsoil synth ATF maintains fluidity to like -70. Standard ATF will be pretty doggone thick when you start dropping much below freezing. Any synthetic ATF will be your best cold temp bet.

7. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Western tells you to use ATF there is a sticker on the pump by the fill hole.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I got a Fisher any idea on how much it will take to fill???

9. rec067

rec067 Member

LB,
    Just a guess but should be about 2 quarts. Thants all My 8 foot boss holds. Maybe you can down load a spec sheet from fisher website? Or maybe somebody knows for sure. Good luck

Last edited: Dec 28, 2002
  10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

My MVP is about 2 quarts. Fill it with the cylinders fully retracted or you will do what I did the first time & blow the fill cap right off.
    Plus you will get all the old fluid out that way.

11. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Western recommends AT fluid, I use Mobile 1 syn fluid

12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I used ATF when I had underhood pumps, but switched to Amsoil with my Blizzard, I feel it works better in the colder temps as others have mentioned.

13. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

pelican,
    which amsoil atf are you using. i checked out their website and they have about 6 different synthetic atf fluids available. im going to change fluid in my blizzard and was thinking about trying amsoil. thanks.

14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

What Amsoil recommended was their Hydraulic Transmission Oil, # ATH-05. I got a 5 gallon pail, you'll use about half to fill all the cylinders and reservoir.