1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Trans

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by drifter79, Sep 8, 2004.

1. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

Question I am thinking of buying my first diesel can`t afford a new one so have been looking and checking good used one`s. I want auto trans have heard dodge has some fifth gear problems and a few other problems so I think I will pass on dodge. So what trans do they run with the 7.3 power strokes and are they a good strong tranny auto. I have been looking at 1998 thru 2000 ext-cabs 250. I did talk to a friend that know`s somebody that has a f-250 1989 one owner with 115,000 miles he said it looks super clean for 5,550.
    Thanks for any help/
  2. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I would stick with a 1999 or newer in the ford. This way you get the solid front axle, and the made several improvement to the 7.3 during this time. I have never owned a 7.3 but have driven several & loved them, just didn't have the money to up grade to it. My trucks have all been automatics with either 460's or V10's (one 5.4lt V8, but we won't talk about it). Always seemed to do the job for me, just changed the transmission fluid every 25,000 miles or so. I got a couple of buddies that plow with powerstrokes & automatics and they haven't had any problems to date. All my buds that have dodges have cummins & 5 or 6 speeds. About that 1989 model I don't know about the price, depends on the options & does it have a plow, miles sound good! :waving:
  3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If I remember right the 89's had a front end alignment problem (something about there was no way to adjust it). So before you buy it have the alignment checked.
    As for the auto transmitions, for plowing like in several other posts, install a trans cooler, temp gage, change fluids before and after season and plow in low range, stop before shifting when changing directions and most any ford transmition should hold up.
  4. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

Thanks for the replies it sounds like I should stick with the 1999 and above. If I find a good truck that has not been abused with under 80,000 for a good price I think I will check it out. Thanks for the help did have a 66 ford with auto in it once and kep destroying trannys in it but I was 18 and drove like I was 18 so I do not think it was all just the trans. Thanks :drinkup:
  5. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

It is true the 99+ 250's have a straight axle, but so do all years of the 350's. 99+ will have the 4R100 trans it is a good trans behind a stock truck. If you start modifying it you will want to upgrade the trans, and there are only a few shops in the country who really know their stuff with diesel trannies. Install a Ford trans cooler from a V-10 truck it is a very good unit. Do not worry about the mileage, these engines will last 500k with only rutine maintenance. Also the banks do not penalize your loan for high mileage on a diesel. That 89 $ sounds about right, but it has a non turbo engine (IDI) so it will feel sluggish compared to a turbo diesel. The IDI engines are very good engines and will last just as long. Yes the Dodges have had some auto trans, and clutch problems as has Ford but not as of lately. I would stay away from the early years of the 6.0L diesel engines, (03-04). The Cummins, and 7.3 PSD are great engines no matter what year.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  6. drifter79

drifter79 Member
    from pacific

Hey Thanks for the advice I am going to get a diesel and just did not know much about them except better mileage and better toque. I do alot of heavy hauling and my own maintenance on my vehicle's so any help is useful. Thanks