1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Trans Temp Gauge NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by MowingisMaddnes, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Plowed for the first time with my new Auto Trans Temp Gauge installed. It isn't working. It never came off the 100 degree peg? Could someone help me start troubleshooting it?
    Thanks, aj
  2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Does it light up / have power?
  3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

check your ground make sure you have power, and make sure you have the sensor in deep enough that you are touching the fluid
  4. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Yes it lights up

It is grounded. But not to the battery. Does that matter? One of my employees installed, not me. I know he said there were 2 grounds (maybe one was for the gauge and one for the light?)and he attached them both at the same point and that point was not the battery.

We installed it into the pan according to the info below provided by B&B. I guess we could just screw the sensor in further, but its hard to believe that is it. What else...

Thanks again, aj

Its actually pretty simple AJ. But I wouldn't recommend using your brass fitting that came with your gage as the only way to attach it would be to braze it like you mentioned. I'm not a big fan of brazing them in because they like to leak unless your very good at brazing. I prefer to use a black iron 1/8" pipe union from the local hardware and weld it in. If your not a good welder you can simply remove and prep it for the bung and have someone else weld it in for you as welding it in is the best method to get a good leak free bond.

And by using a pipe union you can drill the hole bigger in the pan to allow plenty of room for the sender to clear the edge of the drilled hole, your hole to fitting placement doesn't have to be perfect. You can drill the hole over 3/8" and still have plenty of coverage with the pipe union to cover the hole.

Here's a pic of the pipe union you want to pick up from the hardware store. It's hard to tell in the pick but it's a three piece deal. It just unscrews into three separate pieces. You only need to use one of the ends, doesn't even matter which one. The rest you don't need.

Then just weld it in, screw your sender in and your done.

Hope this was helpful.
  5. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Is it a mechanical or electric gauge?
  6. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

I am pretty sure it is electrical. Small sending unit screwed into side of trans pan. Tell me the difference...
  7. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

A mechanical temp gauge uses a capillary tube which is a copper tube with metal sheathing.

Autometer's description-

I prefer mechanical over electric myself as I know what the temp is at all times, even when my truck is off (has it cooled down enough while waiting, etc). It's harder to route the tubing but no electrical wiring is required other than for the gauge backlight which is completely optional.
  8. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

Did the sensor get Teflon tape when installed? If so, pull the sensor and clean off the tape. Most tranny temp sensors ground through the threads.