1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Trans Pan

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Oct 12, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 01 chevy silverado 2500 HD with a 4L80E trans ....How do I tell If I have A deep trans pan.. ? ? What do I look for or what do I measure.. ? ? ? ? I want to do a filter change and need to know what filter to buy..........Need help. ! ! ! !

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All 4X4's with the 4L80E/4L85E used the deep pan...surprised they even gave you a choice.

3. RichG53

Thanks alot ....The fram book listed them both ...Also what is better 4L80 or 4L85. ? ? ? The deep pan is good ? ? ? ? ? In an earlier post you said it would take 8 qts for filter change is that true for the deep pan .... ? ? ?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Makes sense, the paper books are what I refer to as "universal"...so they'll cover just about any application. Fram is one of the worst...

The 85E is just a slightly updated version of the 80E...in fact your truck should technically have the 85E in it.

8 qts will cover the fluid and filter change...some you'll get a little more out that others during the drain but 8 will cover it with room to spare regardless.

5. RichG53

Thanks.... I will have to take the one I bought back for the right one...Is it ok to use multi porpose dextron or should I get just plain dextron.. ? ? ? ?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not a personal fan of the "one size fits all" fluids Rich. But the choice is yours.

7. RichG53

I ask because I am A fanatic about my truck and it's repairs I don't like bandaids,wire or tape I believe in the right way...I am finding it hard to find dextron ...With out going to parts shop were it will cost me $ $ $ $ ....I have a Fleet Farm that has universal dextron... I will have to try Farm & Fleet...Other wise I don't know...

8. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Any dex 3 is fine!