1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto Trans confusion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nrn51983, Jan 3, 2002.

1. nrn51983

nrn51983 Junior Member

I own an 81 chevy C10 with the inline 6 cyl engine. I was going to put a 350cid. engine it it from a scrapped 85 GMC High Sierra 3/4 ton truck. A friend of mine told me the THM350 in my truck was not the same as the ones used for the 8 cyl. engined trucks that year. I don't particularly feel like wrecking a perfectly usable trans. because it wasn't built the same. Does anyone know anything about this?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Go ahead it will be fine. The only difference I can remember is the tail shaft length maybe being different. But that wont effect the bolt in.
    Dino

3. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I have done this same swap in a 3/4 ton bolted in perfect

4. nrn51983

nrn51983 Junior Member

Thank you!

I appreciate the clarification. I plan to start the project soon. I also need a reasonably priced box for this piece of junk. It was owned by a construction company that beat the crap out of it. I also need the following:
    Door Panels- the one for the inside with the Custom Deluxe trim.
    Front Left fender- inner &outer
    rear bumper- I'm thinking DMI or maybe a factory replacement
    And of course all the trim. The black inset with chrome on top and bottom. I probably need more but that what I am thinking of right now. Any ideas let me know. It's 2wd so if you know anything that was a neat addition to these, (paint, trims, etc.) let me know. Thanks!