1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto tranny set up

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by kah68, Oct 21, 2008.

1. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I am going to add a larger trans cooler, temp gauge to my 93 Dodge CTD, what other items do people add to the trans to make it live longer and happier?

Kirk

2. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

Wow no one eh?

3. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

How crazy do you want to go? I added a shift kit,kevlar bands,upgraged sprags, Larger pan,Banks tq converter. Its all how much $$$ you want to spend

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I looked at mine it has a large cooler.
    Q? where do you plan on putting it?
    The area around the radiator looks full of coolers all ready?

Where are you finding the room?

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Change the fluid every 10-15k. You don't have to do the filter that often but just pull the plug on the pan. I had a 96 chev 1/2 ton w/6in lift and 35" BFG's used it to pull every and anything. I put a drain plug on the tranny pan and would pull the plug everyother oil change. So every 6k it got 4.25qts of fresh fluid. 261,000mi on the orig. tranny when I sold her. I did have 4.56 gears in it to help out with the 35's

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You need a large towing trans cooler and good air circulation.
    I think on Dodges, the pump does not circulate fluid when in Park. Let it run in Neutral with the parking brake set to cool it off after a long night of plowing. Plow trucks work hard and need to be cooled off right or it shortened's their life.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Yes that correct what B&B told me that.

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Get trans temp gauge, deeper pan, bigger cooler if you can. I run Amsoil synthetic ATF and change it annually. On the pan aluminum dissapates heat better than steel.