1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto to stick??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameron2171, Apr 1, 2010.

1. cameron2171

cameron2171 Senior Member

I was thinking about converting my 97 chevy 2500 into a standard, and i was just wondering wat u guys thought about that, is it worth it? how much would it cost? beter for plowing? would i get beter gas mileage?

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'll trade you. My 90' has a 5spd the truck only has 29k on it. Been looking (not very hard) into an auto swap.

3. cameron2171

lol why dont you want a standard??

4. cameron2171

I wasnt looking at trading trucks, if i did it i would just buy everything off of summit racing.com then probly sell my tranny, what do u guys think??

5. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Not worth it, do the trade. Downside is the year difference, upside - low mileage, downside - any state taxes or inspections that may be due/required.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

i think he just meant trade tranny??

7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

also most guys will say that its not worth it....a stick truck will suck for plowing....annoying to always be pushing the clutch in, hard on the clutch...u wont see better MPG...it will also cost u a pretty penny to convert...

IMO i like a stick, but wouldn't waste money in converting auto to manual

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Uhh ya not trucks. Tranny, linkage, crossmember, and driveshaft.

9. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Stick really isnt bad to plow with. Like anything, its all in what you are used to.

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

it would be a s*** load of work, a lot of money in parts, and you'll probably have to get the PCM reprogrammed

11. cameron2171

yea thanks for your opinions guys, it was just an idea and soposivly its not that exxpensive but idk thats just what i heard from one person

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

it might not be that bad if you did the work yourself and got the parts used. Thats if you have the know how and access to the parts and tools you'd need

13. cameron2171

yea i dont know how and i wouldnt get used parts

14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

You don't want a manual trans. If you are doing it to save gas, there are others ways to do that.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I would hate plowing with a stick but the swap is not bad at all, if you were swapping with someone it would be a weekend project.
    Robert

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you hire it out and use all new parts, it will cost about double what the truck is worth.

17. cameron2171

allright lol well it seems like none of you think this would be a good idea and no i wouldnt realy be doing it to save on gas, basically just cus a stick is alot more fun to drive, and do u realy think that this would cost me 10 grand i have a hard time beliving that, but yea like i said it was just an idea, thanks for the input

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Your truck might be worth 5G on a good day. If you went to trade it, you'd be lucky to get 3G. What's a brand new NVG4500 (or it's equivalent) cost?

Besides, you don't want a stick in a plow truck.

19. cameron2171

whats an nvg4500 and yea i payed 4500 for the truck and plow

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic