1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Auto shifting problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by terrapro, Feb 8, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

So I was driving the 96 1ton dump around today and parked it and turned off the key. When I jumped back in to leave it wouldn't shift out of first. I pulled into another parking lot parked it turned it off then back on and shifted through all the gears then it would shift fine again?

I haven't gone under the truck yet but I assume its a 4L80E, anyone know if these tend to have a sensor go bad or something like that? Never had any problems before and the fluid looks/smells good.

2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Really no one wants to touch this one. 17 bolts so it is a 4L80E found out it is probably the speed sensor or the control solenoid. Both are under $50 so That is fine, better then 2grand for a trans.

Anyone know if one goes more than the other since it seems they have the same symptoms when they go bad.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not sure to be honest but I do know its a 4L80E