1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto shifter

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

my shifter is giving me trouble again. it had for years occasionally decided it doesn't want to come out of park, changed the brake light switch and that wasn't it. Last winter I threw a hissy fit one night and ripped the shifter off. $150 for a new shifter, which when I went to install it a little plastic tab broke off on a safety cable thingy. It has however worked fine for about a year, lately it started acting up again. Now it won't work at all, I pulled it apart and got it to work a little, but now it won't do anything. Thought I found the problem but I was wrong. All the attaching bolts had backed out, tightened them up and still nada. So I'm looking at the little safety cable deal now. I think it was working even though the clip-latch was broken, but now it has backed out and it's not working. It's either the safety that prevents the lever from moving out of park with the key off, or if you don't step on the brake. I'm leaning toward the key safety.
    Biggest problem is I can't figure out where the other end of the short cable goes. Can't see anything and I don't remember where it went. Has to be somewhere near the key switch, but I just can't see it. If I can find a blowup or schematic or whatever it's called, I could probably figure it out. Then if I can get it back in I'll have to figure some way of locking it in since the clip is busted off.
    A fricking automatic transmission shifter should not be this complicated.