1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto or manual?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jimaug87, Jan 22, 2008.

1. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

I still don't have a plow. i don't have the money for a plow truck and I'm not always free because of school. I read the forums trying to learn as much as I can for when I can get a blade on my truck.

My truck is a stick shift, and that's pretty much all I drive. I don't like driving automatics

How many of you guys plow with a stick? Are there certain advantages or disadvantages particular to plowing?

When I do get a plow I would probably do resi's to start. Commercial gigs would come after some experience.

2. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I plow with a couple of knuckle heads who swear by stick shift. I have made a few of these shifter brackets for these guys. They are just the same way as you though. They just want to drive stick shift, they dont like autos.

The only advantage I see is you have easy grab at the joystick.\

Oh yeah, and theyburn a fair amount of fuel less plowing that I or any of us out have done in any of our diesel autos with any of their diesel stick shifts

[​IMG]

3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have plowed with both and I would say I prefer the automatic.

4. Bowtieguy

Bowtieguy Member
    from CT

I am one of those "knuckleheads" ;) who plows with a stick. I do all residentials and having that granny gear is worth alot to me. I have a few very steep driveways that i could see me working an auto to get up but with that granny gear i just motor up with very little wheel slippage. IMO you have more control. Yeah your busy in the cab...driving,working the sander,working the plow,trying to drink coffee :dizzy: Don't ride the clutch and you'll be fine. I also do some sub work and in the big lots i rarely even hit 2nd gear. We're a dying breed us stick drivers...more talented than those "auto" guys :p but in the end we all get the payup

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

2nd that///

6. Ford_7.3_meyer

Ford_7.3_meyer Junior Member

I run a 5 speed and I like every bit:nod:of it. only draw back is that my rev. is going out so it pops out of gear some times.:cry: Hopping for new truck next year.

7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

im also thinking of putting a plow on my ford which is a 5 spd but has the low gear...(which i have never used).... u guys use the low gear or 1st or 2nd///////????

8. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

auto for me too.

9. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

Clutching and shifting becomes an auto reflex after awhile, you stop even thinking about it. The next day your left leg hurts

10. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

It's funny. one of the first things I ask about someone's ride is the transmission. My girlfriend and I went to the lot to scope over trucks up for the auction. She would walk up to one for me and say, "nope, this one's automatic."

She's learning herself and she's learning quick.

Having the joystick controls on the shifter reminds me of the splitter on big rigs. toss a sander control on there too and you got yourself an imitation 18 spd shifter. :dizzy:wesport

It's easier to rock if you get struck in a hole.

11. haulin87

haulin87 Junior Member

Don't forget the exhaust brake on there too! The G-56 in mine rev/second is real easy:D.
    Course who'd want an auto behind a Cummins?

12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

my whole plowing carrer i have been in a dodge 6pd because i did'nt trust any of the other hands (twin turbo 550+ h.p.) but this year i had back surgery so i have been in a auto and i can honestly say i don't really care whitch one it is.......so i could go either way as far as the plowing aspect but.........everday driving i prefer the auto

13. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

well with automatics you have to come to a somplete stop before puting it in reverse or drive. but with a standard it usually wont go into reverse unless your stopped so its nice in that aspect. we have a couple of standards. the s10, a 78 mack single axle dump (nightmare) and a couple pickups. mostly automatics though. a lot of people nowadays dont even know how to drive stick.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

My next truck is probably going to be a 12v with the 5spd and everyone thinks I am nuts to want a stick behind a diesel. I think they are nuts for wanting a dodge auto behind the cummins.
    I would say that 95% of my hs (2000kids) could not drive a stick, I bet 40-50% of them didn't know that they even make nonautomatic transmissions. Well, most of them probably don't know what a transmission is.

15. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

I also hate driving auto's, i will only own a stick, but, i really wouldn't wanna plow with one, best option for me would be to have a second truck just for plowin that's an auto but that gets spendy $$$

16. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

my blue dodge is a 5-speed and i love it, i will always buy manuals if i can, i like having control of when my truck shifts, and as Gmgbo said after a while you dont even notice your driving a stick, its just second nature.

17. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i can drive stick pretty damn well, its fun slamin gears in our corvette and going thru the gears on our '56 bel-air (3 on the tree) but i have a long standing hate for manuals..give me a auto any day!!! manuals are too much work, and not as smooth just my opinion :) lol

18. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

there smooth if you know how do drive em :nod: i would of preferred to get a stick in my v10 but its kinda hard to be a begger when your buying used kinda gotta take what mostly fits the bill.. im going to be buying a ford super duty dump this summer and its going to be the 7.3 diesel with the 6spd tranny.. just not sure if its going to be a 350-450-550 depends what i can find... 2 of my last 3 vehicles were manual and i miss it, i love taking my brothers 95 mustang gt out and grabbing gears in it. :p

19. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i dont think i agree with that, a manual...when your flooring it and have to shift gear, its somewhat jerky..that lag time when you have the clutch ingaged and are shifting to the next gear..autos are much smoother and quicker when it comes to that..thats what i ment by smoother. :dizzy:

20. iowaplowboy

iowaplowboy Member
    from Iowa

Stick vs Auto

I have two trucks ... one auto with a western blade, one 4-speed stick with a Meyer blade.

I personally think that the Western STACKS snow better (rides up better), and the auto tranny works fine.

The four-speed was sweet, though, when my fuel pump went out in the middle of a snow (no warning at all). Cranked on the ignition in first gear to get out of the street. Couldn't have done that with an auto trans. Granted, that's a one-time deal, but it probably saved me $100 tow and a ticket.

But I'm used to the 4-speed and toggle switch control (mounted on the shifter) and I use this one the most. Really just a matter of personal preference, but I don't have any problem with the stick.