1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

auto or manual for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rvincent, Feb 26, 2007.

1. rvincent

rvincent Junior Member

Im looking into potentaly getting another truck. There is a chevy 1ton around here,dump, nice but its a 5 speed.

How many of you plow w/ manual? Do you like it? Would you rather have auto? Is it easier?

Thanks,

Ryan

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

if you know how to drive it you can plow with a manual its not that big of a deal i did it for a couple of years. and a clutch is ALOT cheaper than a new auto tranny.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I started plowing, 10 years i plowed with a manual then 2 years with an auto now 7 years with a manual need I say more.

4. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

transmission

I have both auto and standard. The standards are now the backup trucks are not used except for a break down. Any new trucks, pickup to class 7 have Allison transmissions. I have some commercial accounts that say no standards transmissions allowed, they believe that they are to slow, primarily in reverse. I have never replace and automatic. I have had to replace clutches and manual transmission. Do what you want it's your money,for me I will never any more plow trucks with a manual transmission my class 8 trucks still have manuals but they do not plow.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

eh doesnt matter to me really my last truck was an auto and i blew the tranny, my current truck is a 5-speed, its no harder to me to plow with a 5-speed then it was with the auto. i prefer the 5-speed for towing so thats why i got one.